Anyone here got diabetic complications?

james122

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
HIGH blood sugars!
As this is a type 1 forum someone here is bound to have some complications either retinopathy or kidney disease I just wanted to ask what people experiences are with diabetic complications and how you got them treated I just want reassurance from people who have complications because even by keeping my blood sugars under control I know there is always a risk.

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi James

Sounds a little like youre feeling anxious about the disease. It may be best for people to not share their complications as this can frighten some people. We have all heard the horror stories and know wats at stake with our health.
Try focussing on yourself, your control and not letting diabetes stand in the way of life! Dont think of what can happen....you will think your life away if you do that. X

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was the same, all I could think about in the first few weeks was the complication I would look forward to. Now I don't. I agree with @Lynz84 about not reading peoples experiences as I spent the few few days on this forum looking for them! My conclusion was that the people who mentioned them seemed to just deal with it and its not the end of the line as I previously thought.

Now for a slightly amusing story. When I was first diagnosed I was sent to the diabetic ward. I was terrified and surrounded by a mismatch of people. The guy opposite was trying to be supportive but he managed to scare the living **** out of me.

He was telling me it would all be fine but I must look after myself, not ignore it like he did, then he proceeded to show me one of his two stumps! Well that was it wasn't it, lowest of the lows. I was done, life was over!

I found out he cut it taking the bins out bare foot and ignored the infection that followed. In contrast next to me was the nicest guy, he was in his 80s and has had diabetes for 50 years, he was only in for something minor. He was very supportive and checked on me every morning :)

Reactions: 4 people

Lynz84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was the same, all I could think about in the first few weeks was the complication I would look forward to. Now I don't. I agree with @Lynz84 about not reading peoples experiences as I spent the few few days on this forum looking for them! My conclusion was that the people who mentioned them seemed to just deal with it and its not the end of the line as I previously thought.

Now for a slightly amusing story. When I was first diagnosed I was sent to the diabetic ward. I was terrified and surrounded by a mismatch of people. The guy opposite was trying to be supportive but he managed to scare the living **** out of me.

He was telling me it would all be fine but I must look after myself, not ignore it like he did, then he proceeded to show me one of his two stumps! Well that was it wasn't it, lowest of the lows. I was done, life was over!

I found out he cut it taking the bins out bare foot and ignored the infection that followed. In contrast next to me was the nicest guy, he was in his 80s and has had diabetes for 50 years, he was only in for something minor. He was very supportive and checked on me every morning :)
Oh my goodness Elkbond thats terrifying and ironic all at once! I had a similar experience at diabetic clinic with a lovely lady in her 70s who told me not to worry, she'd had it 40 years and was in good health...I felt calmer after that

Reactions: 4 people

humaject

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
NOT ALOT
Type1 48 years this year diagnosed age 13.Zero complications

Reactions: 2 people

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type1 48 years this year diagnosed age 13.Zero complications

Thats awesome! Do you have any tips for us newbies?

Most of the tech/ equipment I use looks like it has only been around for the last decade, if that.

What do you think have been the biggest advances since your initial diagnosis? :)

nmr1991

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's like with diabetes theres an increased risk of coeliac disease, I sometimes think that it is a relief not to have it but it could happen suddenly, just like a heart attack or other diabetes related condition, but i have myself convinced that I think about it, it won't happen, as usually its the unexpected things that get you.