1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Anyone here recover from burning feet and/or hands?

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by Caprock94, Mar 1, 2020.

1. BaliRob

BaliRob Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I take 2 x 250mg Mag Citrate (NOW products) daily and I am still on fire and have been for six years - blood sugars good or bad. I think I am a lost cause.

2. tom_r_orr

tom_r_orr Type 2 · Well-Known Member

All through this condition I walk at least 5 km per day - walking actually soothes any discomfort - if it wasn't so hot here I would walk further!

3. smitch02

smitch02 LADA · Newbie

I thought i would never wear socks or shoes again or ever sleep when mine started.

it was the pain that led to me finding out i was late onset type 1.

pregabalin was no good on its own. However when duloxetine was added in combination my life was transformed.

try them both together - it was like a miracle for me!

Good Luck

4. marzak

marzak Type 2 · Active Member

I have a very similar pattern to you diagnosed last April with peripheral neuropathy at diagnosis, used Gliclazide (sulfonylurea) to reduce BG quickly then reduced drug in steps and stopped in August. I still get foot heat/cold/tingling but not as often. I understand that because the capillaries supplying blood to nerves are damaged by the high blood glucose that not much repair takes place so I may have to live with it. It doesn't stop me running or walking or swimming and I only notice when I am sitting still or occasionally at night in bed. It is only on one side and in my foot now when it was in my fingers, lips, face, scalp on same side at time of diagnosis so I have had to learn to put up with it. I do still get a dribbly eye and runny nose on same side but that seems to be much less too. So maybe you will improve as you keep going with diet and if you do some energetic activity too. Just don't let it get in the way of life which I'm sure you don't! :) I must look up Jim Lahey too and see if there are any tips! Mine is exercise and very little idle sitting as well as the obvious BG control. Fingers crossed.

5. marzak

Thank you for this link, it is very interesting and not well enough known among primary care doctors [GPs] I shall inform my 3 nieces currently junior doctors! If I can't be an expert at least they can for the greater good...! :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. marzak

That is really fascinating and potentially explains a little bit of postural hypotension I get sometimes at work or when looking up at things on the wall after standing up - it might not be the reason but could be! It also gives a bit of hope on the nerve repair! Onwards and upwards. Thank you!!!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My feet burned off and on for about three months as my BS numbers fell. A year on and they are fine.

8. Eltanz

Eltanz Type 2 · Newbie

Not entirely but know it relates to adding sugar of some kind knowingly or not! Any meal I suspect or after a dark choc digestives I drink at least two large glasses of water and that usually helps lessen the impact! Then back onto correct intake fir another few days x

9. Caprock94

Caprock94 · Well-Known Member

Did you take any supplements? Exercise?

10. Norfolkmell

Norfolkmell Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My feet are being permanently stabbed, had Duluxotine added last summer which helped a lot. However fell off the LCHF wagon four weeks ago when we lost our dog to sepsis within a couple of hours haven’t had the energy to start up again. BG up all the while and having to be isolated for 12 weeks plus isn’t helping. However feet are really painful now, hubby has to keep massaging them for relief.

• Hug Hug x 1
  11. Damtov8

Damtov8 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It took about two years of eating less than 20 g of carbs a day to stop my neuropathy in my feet.

12. Caprock94

Wow.....but well worth it I am guessing.

13. Dexterdobe

Dexterdobe Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay in replying. I don't take supplements, but I do strictly control my carb intake. I'm 65 and still referee rugby. I exercise moderately every day for at least half an hour and (in normal times) referee twice a week. If I do a lot of refereeing in a day my feet do start to burn. It goes off if I give them a brisk massage. Other than that, I have no problems with my feet at all (but they could be prettier)

14. Caprock94

Good to hear! Glad you are doing well.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook