anyone know about this please

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
had some bloods done yesterday my gfr kidney function has come back at 64 this has dropped a few points since last year can anyone give me advice on their experiences of this feeling fretful thanks

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The GFR is estimated, based on your urea and creatinine levels, your age, and your gender. The standard range used to be 60 and over, then this changed to 90 and over. If your GP feels there is reason for concern I'm sure he will contact you.

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
he said the results are satisfactory. its first stage kidney disease i think ive only just been diagnosed with type 2 and im devastated my gfr is this low and scared

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
hi Winnie and thanks for your reply my profile will not update i am type 2 i dont have hypertension diagnosed i am on low carb diet for a month how and have lost 12lbs so far i am continuing on this for good now exercising more and do not smoke or drink so hopefully things may get a little better

Reactions: gemma_T1

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
hi Winnie and thanks for your reply my profile will not update i am type 2 i dont have hypertension diagnosed i am on low carb diet for a month how and have lost 12lbs so far i am continuing on this for good now exercising more and do not smoke or drink so hopefully things may get a little better

If you go to your actual settings and look for personal details, there is an option that says "type of diabetes" with a drop down box. Type 2 is one of the choices. After that there are boxes to complete about treatment and medications.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So glad to hear this Tracieann. Sounds like you're on track with restoring your health. It's good you're monitoring your kidney health. I do to. It's important though not discussed much here. I have a friend who has Stage 4 CKD. One thing I've learned is that many over the counter NSAIDS, which are over the counter pain relievers, can damage the kidneys or liver. I've since avoided taking meds for 4 years now for the most part. Healthy feels good. Remember to drink water. :)

And congrats on your 12 pound weight loss. That's huge!

Last edited:

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Winnie thank you for your positivity and kindness its helped a lot spoke to a diabetic nurse where i work today she said 64gfr is not bad not as good as 90 but not dire so ive calmed a bit i never take nsaids they are terrible for your stomach too can cause ulcers .so im on the up been out walking tonight thanks once again Winnie xx

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Tracieann, for the last couple of days I've been looking around on the internet for ways to prevent kidney disease. Interestingly, nothing I read was particularly helpful. There were a few exceptions. Here's one that describes a possible microbiome role in kidney health... https://kresserinstitute.com/gut-kidney-axis/ There's a few recommendations in the last section.

- Eliminate or greatly limit processed foods to reduce salt intake. Instead eat fresh, whole foods and add salt to each meal to insure that salt intake doesn't drop too low. Both high and low levels of salt are problematic for health.

- Always include vegetables (above ground if on the low carb diet) and/or leafy greens to provide needed fiber with your protein (and fat) at every meal. He explains how fiber counteracts some of the unwanted effects of animal protein in the article.

I was reading your previous posts. You're like me in that you love chocolate. There's are two reasons I crave it like crazy if I have any: the sugar (which is why it's recommended to only eat 80% - 85% cocoa chocolate), and a lesser known reason, magnesium deficiency. Low carb sources of magnesium are almonds - (Nuts should always be eaten raw. Roasted nuts are coated with unhealthy damaged oils, and I believe the heat process also damages the fat in the nuts.) - and leafy greens, raw or cooked, avocado. Here's a longer list... https://www.ketovale.com/magnesium-rich-foods/ Have you tried replacing chocolate with cocao nibs? I like them.

I personally take 300 mg, sometimes 450 mg, of magnesium citrate. Others take magnesium glycinate which is less likely to cause loose stools. When taking magnesium, ramp up the dosage slowly. I tolerate magnesium citrate well, but those who have problems with loose stools often do better on magnesium glycinate. Read more here... https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/315372.php

If you haven't had your vitamin D levels checked, do so. I take 4000 IU of D3 during the dark months, and 2,000 IU during the sunny months to maintain optimal vitamin D levels. Vitamin D is very important, particularly for those with any chronic disease including diabetes.

Here's an interesting article on possible causes of food cravings... https://bengreenfieldfitness.com/article/fat-loss-articles/what-do-food-cravings-mean/

If my eGFR was 64, I wouldn't panic, but I would be taking a much harder look at my diet. For the last 4 years, I've eaten a low carb ketogenic diet that consists of primarily whole foods, almost no processed foods. By that I mean, I eat a vegetables or leafy greens with every meal. I also eat healthy animal protein and animal and/or plant fat with every meal. Grains are problematic for some people. I eliminated the grains wheat, rye, barley, and oats and other gluten containing processed foods in 2011 and have significantly limited the other grains since 2015. By that I mean, I'll occasionally have 6 crackers made from rice and quinoa flour and a variety of healthy seeds.

If you're like most of us and have excess weight, the ketogenic diet is very helpful. But cut back your daily intake of dairy and raw nuts if your weight loss plateaus.

I'm interested in learning more about kidney health and will continue to post helpful information as I come across it. The two people with diabetes in my life who have developed CKD both went the medication or medication and insulin route, continue to struggle with somewhat controlled glucose levels, and have been unable to remove most or all processed foods. It's a battle worth fighting in my experience.

Last edited:

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
he said the results are satisfactory. its first stage kidney disease i think ive only just been diagnosed with type 2 and im devastated my gfr is this low and scared

My eGFR has been up and down like a fiddler's drawers for a good few years now but I am still here and truckin' on.

I think one issue is that a LCHF diet can lead you to more protein which can lower your eGFR score. I'm not sure that this is a problem.

You will be fine. 1st rule of diabetes is DON'T PANIC!

Yes, avoid NSAIDs. Drink plenty of water to keep your kidneys flushed through.

My kidneys are a bit slow - some people can drink a pint of water and pee a pint out immediately. Takes me a few hours, which can be annoying if you have a drink before bedtime because then your kidneys drop you a hint via your bladder about 3 in the morning.

Anyway my medical team seem happy with my kidneys so far.

Winnie53

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LittleGreyCat, Canadian nephrologist Jason Fung says protein is not a problem for kidneys that are normal. The low carbohydrate ketogenic diet is a moderate protein diet, not high.

In this article, "How Much Protein Do You Need In Nutritional Ketosis?", there is a chart that shows what the "Reference Body Weight"* is for women's (left column) and men's (right column) height - (click and scroll down)... https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/

I am 5 feet 3 inches so my RBW range is 121 to 135 pounds (55 - 61 kilograms). I'm small boned and walk, but don't currently exercise, so I'm going to go with the RBW of 121 pounds (55 kilograms). At the 1.2 g/kg level, the chart states I need 10 ounces of protein a day which is what I've always intuitively eaten.

To do the conversion from pounds to kilograms, just Google "pounds kilograms calculator".

Protein intake is a controversial topic though. I know...

*"Reference Body Weight (RBW) RBW may be used instead of ideal body weight. RBW is the midpoint of the healthy weight range in the 1995 Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Within the healthy range RBW can be adjusted upward for more highly muscled and downward for less muscled individuals."
- page 2,
https://aidsetc.org/sites/default/files/resources_files/Ch7.pdf

I agree with about drinking water throughout the day and not using NSAIDs. One of my diabetic friends developed Chronic Kidney Disease because her doctor stopped her pain medication and instructed her to take an NSAID instead. She went from normal kidney function to Stage 3 Chronic Kidney Disease 1 to 2 years. Her nephrologist told her the damage was caused the NSAID.

What really shocks me, is that NONE of the articles I read on preventing diabetes kidney disease mentioned that NSAIDs or other medications can damage the kidneys.

Tracieann

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
im pleased been to see Gp has talked all through with me hes not worried about high bp on the home readings i gave him which he said are fine he said im doing amazing and says fgr can fluctuate so not to get stressed as both were ok so im just getting on with walking low carb and positivity thanks Winnie x little grey cat x and all

Reactions: Winnie53