Anyone remember these syringes?

Madmaureen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Found an old book with pics and thought it would bring back some horrible memories for some oldies like me type1 48 years and enjoying all the progress that has been made in those days gone by!!!
IMG_20180222_222415.jpg

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh yes! & the sky blue screw top case they were kept in too..

The whole drawing up from the vial.. A lost art! :)

Granny_grump_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dishonesty lies and thieves and online Bullies!!!
Oh yes! & the sky blue screw top case they were kept in too..

The whole drawing up from the vial.. A lost art! :)
I remember them Has my sister who was 10 at the time developed type1 horrible things my mum was so nervous when she had to inject her with her insulin! K

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Yes! Boiling them up and hoping they’d not be covered in calcium from the hard water. And the needles, urgh. Trying to preserve the thread of copper that was inserted to keep them clear while they boiled.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I had single plastic syringes to draw up Insulin, but the history of type 1 diabetes and it's management is fascinating ( some do look scary though):wideyed::nailbiting:

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I remember those glass syringes.Needles in plastic cases that had to be kept in surgical spirit so that they could be used over and over again.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
f**k yes I very vaguely remember those when I was a very young kid.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just be grateful our diet has more variety now than whisky and cabbage water which was a treatment very many years ago before insulin. Mind you I might manage on the whisky!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before my time thankfully :) but I recently found some plastic syringes with the orange tops marked 'U100 insulin' that I'd have stashed when the pens came out.
As we're reminiscing, does anyone remember being able to get pens & cartridges from your GP but having to go to the hospital for needle tops?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
Horrible memories.....having to boil them up all the time. Needle as thick as darning needles and probably only just a bit sharper. Kept mine in a blue plastic case with 2 vials of insulin. WOW that was a long time ago

Reactions: Dodo

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
Before my time thankfully :) but I recently found some plastic syringes with the orange tops marked 'U100 insulin' that I'd have stashed when the pens came out.
As we're reminiscing, does anyone remember being able to get pens & cartridges from your GP but having to go to the hospital for needle tops?

U100! I’d forgotten that. There was U200 and U300 too and you had to check carefully that you’d been given the right one or you’d end up over or under dosed. The insulin was produced in different strengths too - so much opportunity for it to go wrong.

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was on U100 twice aday injections for about 30 years drawing from plastic syringes until December. Sometimes I miss it.

Is that true about whisky and cabbage water???

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And having to mix my two insulins in the syringe. Inject air into the clear first, then inject air into the cloudy insulin and draw the required amount, then back to the clear and draw off the required amount. Never the other way around because if some cloudy got into the clear insulin it would turn cloudy and therein mistakes were likely.

kev-w

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And having to mix my two insulins in the syringe. Inject air into the clear first, then inject air into the cloudy insulin and draw the required amount, then back to the clear and draw off the required amount. Never the other way around because if some cloudy got into the clear insulin it would turn cloudy and therein mistakes were likely.
:) I remember an insulin you had to mix in the bottle then draw up, "roll, don't shake" was the screamed instruction from sister Muriel as I shook the bottle at the hospital.

She had shoulders an 80s prop forward would have been proud of :p

Reactions: Madmaureen

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

I got a distant memory of obtaining the early pens & meter from the Diabetes hospital clinic & the rest on script from the GP..?
The consultant wasn't too happy I'd put a generic "clip art" style Dracula/vampire sticker on my meter..

You could also use the coordinated coloured label strips from the insulin cartridge boxes to code the contents of the basal & bolus pens? (The pens otherwise both looked the same, back in the day.)

kevinfitzgerald

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
All things that hurt (emotional and physical)
Yep.. The boiling up to steralise and the metal needles that resembled javelins that were so solid they could break off once inside your flesh!.

And the urine testing with those caustic tablets that could burn through to the Antipodes if you spilt any on the floor!

Strangely I actually loved cleaning mine. Boiling it and taking it apart as though it was a riffle (though I've never taken apart a riffle, but I've seen it on TV!) I was diagnosed in 1981..

I've actually an old book (must be nearly 50 years old which was given to my father when he got diagnosed probably from the 1950's or 60's with pictures) A really interesting, fun read when you take into account what it is like now!

Hypo's were called Insulin Reactions and there was a list of foods we were not supposed to eat.. Virtually nothing was safe.. I must try to find it...

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes