Anyone tried Actos? Experiences?

NatJS

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes
At my first 3 month review with my GP, which was generally very positive, I asked him a lot about insulin resistance and he discussed metformin (which I'm already on) and suggested I might want to try Actos, too, depending on the results on my latest hba1c test. Apparently Actos can help significantly with insulin resistance.

I've read much about potential side effects online but it's hard to gauge how common they actually are. There doesn't seem to be a ton of discussionabout it on here - has anyone had experience of taking it? Did you experience any problems with it? Did it help?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
At my first 3 month review with my GP, which was generally very positive, I asked him a lot about insulin resistance and he discussed metformin (which I'm already on) and suggested I might want to try Actos, too, depending on the results on my latest hba1c test. Apparently Actos can help significantly with insulin resistance.

I've read much about potential side effects online but it's hard to gauge how common they actually are. There doesn't seem to be a ton of discussionabout it on here - has anyone had experience of taking it? Did you experience any problems with it? Did it help?
Yeah, I was on Actos for a while and it certainly helped me. But then the bean counters changed me to Avandia. A year later I had 2 strokes in quick succession. Cannot make clain since I was a heavy smoler at the time. Actos is less strongly associated with CVE, so it may have been the Avandia. Had to come off both following CVE and also my heart attack.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cigarette smoking and consumption of alcohol.
Pioglitazone (generic name) Actos (brand name) is used with a diet and exercise program and sometimes with other medications, to treat type 2 diabetes (condition in which the body does not use insulin normally and therefore cannot control the amount of sugar in the blood). Pioglitazone is in a class of medications called thiazolidinediones. It works by increasing the body's sensitivity to insulin, a natural substance that helps control blood sugar levels.
On June 15, 2011 the U.S. FDA announced that pioglitazone use for more than one year may be associated with an increased risk of bladder cancer, and two months later the label was updated with an additional warning about this risk
Sources:--
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioglitazone
https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a699016.html

Reactions: NatJS