Do you think there is enough support for diabetic type 1

• Yes

• No

• Not sure don't know enough about it

Results are only viewable after voting.

saintly1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all, I'm new to this site but I was pleasantly surprised at the things I read and saw before I joined. I hope I can educate myself about diabetes and all that comes with it as I must confess that I'm at a, loss it's so vast..!
I am a type 1 relatively new diabetic and was only told around a year and a half . Since then I have been learning to completely change my life with injections of both lantus & apidra and I'm still not stable yet.. One of the concerns I have had especially recently is diabetic neuropathy ....
I have had bad sciatica & pain in my right leg (especially since the birth of my child 4 years ago), but lately (I feel around the past 5/6 months) I have felt excruciating pain the whole length of my leg & in my foot it's like a burning feeling & it's intense.
I've seen a physio & lately had to see a chiropractor as my GP thought I had a slipped disk, however , this nerve pain in my leg & especially my calf & foot , has been underlying before this recent problems for ages and it would just be so helpful if someone who has diabetic neuropathy or & knows about it, might be able to enlighten me as I'm in a lot of pain with it all plus I'm just struggling to know how to differentiate between it being neuropathy or something else.
I am getting an MRI soon just waiting for an app as it takes ages..

Many thanks

Beth

Cassandra13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!

Sorry to hear that you are experiencing so much pain!
As far as I know and have read, you have many many years before neuropathy should be an issue. Type 1 typically does not go undiagnosed for long enough to have complications so early. Type 2 can typically go long periods of time before a diagnosis and in some cases is only diagnosed because the person has developed complications.

Hopefully the MRI will give you some answers!

Unjustified

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arrogant people and liars
Hey,

The intense burning sensation could be neuropathy, but you would need to see a neurologist to get a definitive answer. I was Diagnosed T1D just over 24 years ago, and have had trouble controlling it for the past 15 years or so. My neuropathy problems started showing about 2 years ago and as @Cassandra13 states, it takes a long time with uncontrolled Diabetes to start showing neuropathic problems.

Are you showing any other problems with your feet, or hands? Numbness is also a main sign of neuropathy, as well as not sensing changes in temperature. With mine I get hot, burning pins & needles sensations running from just below my knee to the tips of my toes, along with numbness and loss of feeling. I also get cramp very easily and have problems walking and moving around. This has now spread to my hands where I have a slight numbness on my palms.

There is medication that can help, but I'd suggest bringing it up with your DSN or Doctor. I hope the MRI brings you some results.

James

WCasey

Been Type 1 diabetic for 26 years and I have peripheral neuropathy and the autonomic as well. Been on Lyrica for the last 12 years with Norgesic Forte or Tramadol if the pain is too much.

I've been a diabetic for fourteen years now and I deal neuropathy everyday and its non stop I take gabapentin for and tbh i take more than i am describe to take but th the more I take I feel alot better but I run out early I wish there was a cure for it someday

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just started taking Gabapentin. Taken it for a week now and I think it's starting to help. How much do you take? Only on the starting dose atm. I suffered from sciatica for 2 years and was on pregabalin. Horrible drugs but quite effective. I was reluctant to start them again but I got fedup walking around like an old man.

kvetiny

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haven't had a diagnosis of neuropathy yet. Awaiting tests atm. I know it's not sciatica as that's quite different. Hope I don't need to be on gabapentin for too long.