Apidra vs fiasp

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am about a week away from starting on my omnipod (I have the meeting with the representative on the 23 of Jan.)
And I have been asked to consider fiasp due to the spikes novorapid humalog and apidra cause me I tend to hover between 14-18 post meal
My main question has anyone found fiasp to improve the spikes post meal and also what is fiasp like as the background element when using a pump???
Any help would be extremely welcome

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I am about a week away from starting on my omnipod (I have the meeting with the representative on the 23 of Jan.)
And I have been asked to consider fiasp due to the spikes novorapid humalog and apidra cause me I tend to hover between 14-18 post meal
My main question has anyone found fiasp to improve the spikes post meal and also what is fiasp like as the background element when using a pump???
Any help would be extremely welcome

I loved Fiasp at first, but hated it as time went on and returned to NovoRapid. I found that while it worked faster up front, I would get more spikes later on as its period of effective action is shorter and thus leaves you more susceptible to delayed spikes from fat or protein. I also found it didn't work as well as a pump basal for this reason - I would get huge spikes after exercise or waking up that were difficult to bring down and that I didn't see on NovoRapid. It is also notorious for causing pump site issues. Spikes of 14-18 are very large, are you sure your carb ratio and/or basal dose is correct? It may be an issue of taking more insulin for meals and lowering your basal, or increasing your basal and keeping the same bolus dose. Or it could be the food you are eating. Even if I bolus right before eating with NovoRapid I wouldn't expect to see such large rises unless something is off, but of course everyone is different!

glavesr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My B.S always returns to a decent level once it gets out of my system so after 4 hours I am back to 4.5-7.9 but I still feel like I've been dragged though hell backwards for the 4 hours it is in effect my ratios are something i need to find out with my dietitian this week as for my background I currently take 24.5 units if I take 24 the dawn phominon knocks me for 6 and I am upwards of 11 upon waking. if I take 25 Im between 3.5 to 4.5 upon waking which is one reason the pump is going to be a big help hopefully that will remove that obstacle
Thank you for the input on fiasp

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I find Fiasp is good.

I still get spikes after meals but they aren't as high as with Novorapid. The only thing I have to be careful of is making sure I don't bolus till after my meal, if my BG is below target, otherwise I'll go low.

My sites are just the same with Fiasp as with Novorapid, even though I have very sensitive skin.

scotteric

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My B.S always returns to a decent level once it gets out of my system so after 4 hours I am back to 4.5-7.9 but I still feel like I've been dragged though hell backwards for the 4 hours it is in effect my ratios are something i need to find out with my dietitian this week as for my background I currently take 24.5 units if I take 24 the dawn phominon knocks me for 6 and I am upwards of 11 upon waking. if I take 25 Im between 3.5 to 4.5 upon waking which is one reason the pump is going to be a big help hopefully that will remove that obstacle
Thank you for the input on fiasp

I suspect your meal boluses are not enough but your basal is too high for most of the day after your dawn phenomenon has subsided, which is bringing you back into range after each meal but leading to spikes. Hopefully a pump will help with this since you can set a higher basal rate in the morning and then lower it after.