App Subscriptions

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello All,

Just curious, how many of you pay for apps that help monitor your blood? What ones are they?

Are they a one time purchase or a subscription?

If you don't have any paid apps or subscriptions how do you feel about them? Have you tried any?

P.s. I am not in the app game and am not about to release anything in the near future, just curious about other peoples views on apps.

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The only app I use is the free one for my Dario Smart meter.

There are many free diabetes management apps on the market, some are meant to be very good but I can't comment.

Personally I wouldn't pay for any of them, with the exception of Carbs and Cals which I found reasonably useful when first diagnosed and out my depth.

Grant

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
As I started using the dexcom software which I found amazing, and free, I haven't needed to pay for any. I now use diasend, because of the integration with my diabetes team, and it links pump (bolus, basal and carb) info, CGM and fitbit data to provide all the information I really need. Out of the 2, I much prefer the dexcom software but the trade off is worth the convenience of being able to get feedback from my DSN over email. Whilst these are available, I would not consider purchasing or paying for any software as they provide everything I need.

bridg3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I just bought the mynetdiary from the apple store. Seems ok but a bit annoyed that after pain over £6 for the app there's a premium version with no adds and support for scales and fitness bands.

it does hae food logging and carb counting and blood level recording though.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I just bought the mynetdiary from the apple store. Seems ok but a bit annoyed that after pain over £6 for the app there's a premium version with no adds and support for scales and fitness bands.

it does hae food logging and carb counting and blood level recording though.
Most free apps have everything you've just mentioned.

If the Apple store is anything like Google's Play store, you may find you have a grace period for a full refund.

Grant

Blackers183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Commercial television
The reason I purchased a iPhone 5 years ago was to purchase and use RapidCalc to record BGL and help manage my diabetes. I have found it invaluable and my endocrinologist eventually agreed these apps are worth it. I would never go back to the small paper log books.

hels

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use MySugr. I started with a free version then upgraded to a paid version when it was on offer. It was a one off payment and I have found it a good app. When I have given feedback and made suggestions the developers have responded quickly and often make improvements

bridg3

Type of diabetes
Type 2
what I like about my netdiary is ,I can track food, steps, weight and BG. If I add what I've eaten I can set it to remind me 2 hours later to tell test, im slowly working out what works and doesn't for me. Plus I like to track everything so I tend to do better with food when im doing it than when im not.

ElkBond

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the replies :)

Its interesting to see the different views on why or why not an app is worth a purchase.

I myself do not really use an app to its full potential. I have one drop (which is a free app and I would recommend to give it a try) which syncs to Apple health to pull cgm data, carbs and exercise.

I actually rely on diasend as my go to management (app sucks a little!) as everything I use links to it for a complete picture.

phil1966

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I use MySugr. I started with a free version then upgraded to a paid version when it was on offer. It was a one off payment and I have found it a good app. When I have given feedback and made suggestions the developers have responded quickly and often make improvements

Same here, although I don't use it as much now I have my Freestyle Libre as that gives me all the data I need