Appalled!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had the misfortune to shop in a very large Tescos today, something I rarely do. While I was there I noticed two things which disturbed me greatly, I am yet to decide which was worse.

First, while wandering around with Mrs Bear, I noticed a man in his thirties, with a child in a pushchair, pick up a jar of some curry sauce of some type or another. He then unscrewed the lid, gave the contents a good sniff, put the lid back on and then placed the jar back in the shelf before wandering off. What person in their right mind would think this is an acceptable thing to do?

Now you might think this should be the thing that disturbed me most but the fact is I have hope that this is a very rare and isolated incident and not likely to be repeated. Well, maybe, but its not a store where I usually shop and is also 70miles away from where I live most of the time.

No, what disturbs me more is when i reached the aisle we were actually looking for -yoghurts- we were presented with a huge and very varied selection of yoghurts with all manner of exotic flavours, except, when we looked a bit harder, the only yoghurt they had which was not low fat, was a small two portion natural greek yoghurt, there not even the option of buying a larger pot.

So much for Tescos improving choice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

That jar of curry sauce should be taken of the shelf, what a thing to do.....
70 miles is along way to go to experience that as well. :(

Reactions: 2 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
With regards to the poor choice of yoghurt, you'd never guess they were working so closely with Diabetes UK would you...

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I used to buy all my Alpro, and Fage yoghurt from Tesco.
Admittedly it was low fat, but low carb as well, so I never looked for anything else.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if you press the lid on a sealed jar and it pops up and down, do not buy as it has been tampered with.
That customer is just a total disgrace for any shop to cope with.

You should let tesco know.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Thank god for safety buttons on jar lids! I always check them twice because of the antics of a few lowlife's such as the one you spotted today! :grumpy:

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
That is terrible

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Another thing that annoys the hell out of me in supermarkets is when you see fresh meat,vegetables or dairy that has been dumped by a customer in a random,unrefrigerated place such as the tea and coffee aisle simply because they've changed their mind about buying it-what a waste and it's not hard to put something back in the proper place if you change your mind.:grumpy:

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
It was, I saw to that myself.

Well done Mr. Bear! I am a huge believer in.....hmmm, not complaining exactly but stating my case if you like. I see absolutely no point in moaning about something if I am not prepared to do something about it too. No need to be nasty, I just let someone know. Mind you, I can be pretty firm too ;) I also make sure that I give praise where it's due too. Gotta balance things up huh?:)

The behaviour of people never ceases to amaze me, what planet was that guy from for goodness sake? As for Tesco's, the last time I shopped there was back in 2000 with my sister when I was over for the millenium. I have ever since been envious of the enormous choice they had but I reckon that we're not so badly off after all! Living in a smallish community might be preferable after all :happy:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
At my local supermarket the check out people always open the egg box and check them. I assumed this was to check none were cracked until I decided to ask. Apparently it is because people steal single eggs from them, then put them back on the shelf with one egg missing! Can you believe that?!

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
In truth I still prefer to go to small greengrocers, butcher shops and fishmongers, but for many things there really is no choice but to go to a supermarket. We have two great butchers and two great fishmongers within easy distance where I live and they go out of their way to help regular customers. The local small greengrocers are pretty good but cater more for the nepalese (Gurkas are based here) so don't always have the more mundane stuff, they are terrifically good for asian veg though.

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Thankfully you can tell when a jar has been opened due to the centre of the lid being popped out, had I been there I would have reported this individual.

As for the yogurt, Tesco's will only stock the most popular brands that sell the fastest, I buy the Onkin Yogurt from Tesco's and never have a problem.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
id have made him eat it, right there and then..... oh wait..... no i mean thats what i would have done in the movies.

never knew about the jar lid thingy

Reactions: 3 people

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Many people don't know about the tamper proof lids. Tesco's were informed, as I have already said twice, however finding a tescobod and chasing said miscreant around the store simultaneously would have involved gymnastics beyond the capability of the above average polar bear, I suppose I should have just disemboweled him there and then, but he did have a small child with him so probably best not.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
your getting soft in your old age, any self respecting bear would have eaten them both right there, im starting to think polar = teddy , now i suggest you get back out there and kill something fast! for the sake of your reputation, doesnt have to be a child, a neighbours pet will do, let us know how you get on