Apple are developing an Apple Watch with glucose meter

D

Deleted member 308541

Sounds wonderful but probably going to be way to expensive for me☹️

There was a price for the Apple Watch 2 at the bottom of the page at that link, priced at $580.00 here in Australia. so the new one with the monitor will cost a shed load more that the older version.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a price for the Apple Watch 2 at the bottom of the page at that link, priced at $580.00 here in Australia. so the new one with the monitor will cost a shed load more that the older version.

That may still work out to be cheaper than Freestyle Libre...and should bring in a whole new range of alternative devices...

http://www.gluco-wise.com/
Glucowise™ is a non-invasive, 100% pain-free device that makes traditional blood sampling a thing of the past. Our unique sensor technology will allow you to monitor blood glucose levels without the need to pierce your skin.

this also looks interesting:-
http://www.nemauramedical.com/sugarbeat/
Using a small disposable patch painlessly stuck onto a user’s arm, leg or abdomen, sugarBEAT® measures the body’s glucose levels via the skin.

Approximately 1mm thick, and designed to conform to the body for enhanced patient comfort and compliance, the sugarBEAT® patch offers a convenient way to track blood sugar levels throughout the day.

Connected to a small electronic transmitter, the sugarBEAT® patch can take a sensor measurement every five minutes from the body’s interstitial fluid, drawn from the skin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't test that often, so buying a Freestyle Libre is not of interest as the cost is very high. I use a Accu Chek Mobile meter which needs a new 50 strip cartridge every three months, so costs around £100/year ( I get mine free on prescription).

If you could get some wearable tech which didn't require buying expensive consumables then this would be of interest to me. I am interested in getting a Fitbit or Apple Watch, but the Health App on the iPhone currently provides most of the information I need except for heart rate.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Art Of Flowers - I can't post a link, bit i'm sure I read somewhere that although Apple do intend to do this it wouldn't be of medical grade, more designed as a general health monitor, a bit like the fitness monitors already around that do pulse and blood pressure readings.

For me, I'd have to understand more about it and how it worked before considering it as an laternative to the test methods we have now.

Undoubtedly, it would be fantastic if it was fit for purpose for diabetics. We'll see.

Edit: I just read the article and Tom Cook says himself he'd want to avoid the FDA medical device approval process as it would delay production schedules.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sounds like it's using reverse iontophoresis: electric current draws interstitial fluid out of the skin and measures it out of the body. In other words, just like cgm is one step removed from bg tests, it's one further step removed from what you're trying to measure. I love cgm even though I know that the results need tweaking against reality, but iontophoresis, for me, seems to be adding a whole new layer of guess work. Wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it. But that won't matter to Apple devotees as long as it looks cool. Glucowatch failed because basically it didn't work and caused pain and irritation, and all these new things will fail for the same reason.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
Depends how inaccurate it is.

Constant monitoring backed up by finger prick and HbA1c does not have to be precise but as long as it is "ish" then it could be worth using for T2s at least.

Still looks as though there are consumables - the patch - so there is the chance for Apple to generate continuous revenue. I assume you will have to move the patch to a different area of skin on a regular basis.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like it's using reverse iontophoresis: electric current draws interstitial fluid out of the skin and measures it out of the body. In other words, just like cgm is one step removed from bg tests, it's one further step removed from what you're trying to measure. I love cgm even though I know that the results need tweaking against reality, but iontophoresis, for me, seems to be adding a whole new layer of guess work. Wouldn't trust it as far as I can throw it. But that won't matter to Apple devotees as long as it looks cool. Glucowatch failed because basically it didn't work and caused pain and irritation, and all these new things will fail for the same reason.
According to this article ... http://www.fiercebiotech.com/medical-devices/apple-testing-a-noninvasive-blood-glucose-monitor-cnbc Apple have 30 engineers working on a system which uses light to measure glucose levels through the skin. Looks to be a different technology than used by Glucowatch.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fascinating.

I've often wondered if the Libre wouldn't be best marketed at T2s, for all the reasons that @Scott-C mentions. It would certainly increase the potential market for Freestyle (I'm talking about the marketing, not the actual market, since I have seen many T1s post to say how useful they find it, once they accept the limitations).

If the apple watch is less accurate, and will be marketed as suitable for non-medical use, then that would be an even larger market.

Will be very interested to see where this goes.

As a T2/RHer myself, I find the Libre easily accurate enough for my needs, but would need a lot more info before I even considered the apple watch (strap) as an option. I find myself oddly ambivalent about apple products. I now own 3, use them daily, and find them effortlessly useful and much more convenient than any other tech I have tried. But I dislike the hype, the fan mentality, and I do my research before each purchase.

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
According to this article ... http://www.fiercebiotech.com/medical-devices/apple-testing-a-noninvasive-blood-glucose-monitor-cnbc Apple have 30 engineers working on a system which uses light to measure glucose levels through the skin. Looks to be a different technology than used by Glucowatch.

Ooh, well spotted! I picked up a second hand copy of Wiley, In vivo glucose sensing, which seems to be the standard go to reference book for people developing this stuff. There's a few chapters on spectroscopy. The science is way beyond me but the general impression is that, while it's worth exploring, it's still a bit Doctor Who'ish and in infancy. They are having a lot of difficulty making sure that what the light is measuring is actually glucose as opposed to the hundred and one other components of blood, just like early cgm could be thrown out by vitamin C.

Still looks as though there are consumables

Exactly. Just like these people are hoping you'll buy a new, I quote, "K'apsul" each month:
http://www.pkvitality.com/ktrack-glucose/

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
yes, i agree with you. please suggest to me any other alternative smart watch

Glucowatch was first made available in 2002 but faced problems with the clinical efficacy of the product and some legal issues with some major pharmaceutical companies (ortho-McNeil Pharmaceutical). The company was dissolved in about 2007.

However, if you google "Glucowatch 2016" there's an update that might be worth looking at.