Apples and carbs and GI

johnincrete

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have type 2 diabetes for over 30 years. I am 82 years old. I have regulated blood sugar batter in the last 6 months due to constant use of my Free Style sensor. I have lost over 40kg in weight by a strict adherence to a very low carb diet - NO bread, NO biscuits, No booze in particular, trying to take my carbs as one ingredient of healthy foods. In this hot weather (30+ here in Crete) I eat a lot of apples. I have failed to get informative information such a how many carbs and calories in an apple and how quick will it affect my blood sugar. Can anyone help please?

EBe66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Depends on the kind of apple but a quick search says 12gr of carbs per 100gr of peeled apple and 55kcal.
100gr of non-peeled is also 12gr carbs but 56Kcal.
For me a single apple gives a quick but small (~1-2 points) BS spike but it could/will be different for you.
But if you have the sensor can't you just see what is happening?

Congrats on the 40Kg weight loss. Personally trying for 18 years and back/still on the weight I started with...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 543160

How low is your low carb and what are your overall glucose levels and targets like?
Your sensor will tell you how you respond to apples, and eating them alone as a snack may give you different results to eating them as part of a meal.

I'll occasionally eat small portions of them without issue, usually as part of my meal, and this has little overall affect on my glucose levels.

But as you're in Crete, do you eat (Greek!!) olives? They are very low in carbs, and full of healthy fat and other "good ingredients"... and are definitely recommended as part of a low carb diet.