Applying for a 3 year licence.

LiamSwans97

Hello Everyone

I'm in the process of filling out the diab1 form for the first time, and I'm panicking a bit. The problem I have is I have actually been type 1 for nearly 7 years and have only very recently found out that somebody in my position would need to apply for a 3 year licence. I was not told at the time of diagnosis, and it was only brought to my attention after talking to somebody with the same condition last week.

I'm not particularly worried about having my licence revoked, I meet all the criteria for them to give me a 3 year licence - always get warning signs of hypos, never needed help from anyone else, never had laser eye treatment, don't have a visual field defect, vehicle doesn't have special controls etc

The thing I'm worried about is will there be any retrospective action taken against me, such as the £1000 fine they talk about, or giving me penalty points for non-disclosure. I note on the diab1 form there is no box in which to put the date I first started taking insulin, so its my presumption that the dvla would initially treat this as a new diagnosis. My GP would know this information however, so if they need more information from him it might come to light.

I honestly don't know how this has passed me by all this time and couldn't quite believe what I was reading after I googled this after the conversation I had last week. Just wondered if anyone had any advice or been through something similar.

Liam

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Everyone

I'm in the process of filling out the diab1 form for the first time, and I'm panicking a bit. The problem I have is I have actually been type 1 for nearly 7 years and have only very recently found out that somebody in my position would need to apply for a 3 year licence. I was not told at the time of diagnosis, and it was only brought to my attention after talking to somebody with the same condition last week.

I'm not particularly worried about having my licence revoked, I meet all the criteria for them to give me a 3 year licence - always get warning signs of hypos, never needed help from anyone else, never had laser eye treatment, don't have a visual field defect, vehicle doesn't have special controls etc

The thing I'm worried about is will there be any retrospective action taken against me, such as the £1000 fine they talk about, or giving me penalty points for non-disclosure. I note on the diab1 form there is no box in which to put the date I first started taking insulin, so its my presumption that the dvla would initially treat this as a new diagnosis. My GP would know this information however, so if they need more information from him it might come to light.

I honestly don't know how this has passed me by all this time and couldn't quite believe what I was reading after I googled this after the conversation I had last week. Just wondered if anyone had any advice or been through something similar.

Liam
Applying for a new licence doesn't necessarily mean you have been driving in the interim. I can't imagine the DVLA have the resources or inclination to find out.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Everyone

Liam

Hi,

Back in the day when I was learning to drive on a provisional licence, I applied & just cracked on with it. This was in the 1980s.
So, I was pootling about occasionally on an L plated Honda 90. When I passed my driving test I was advised to notify the DVLA. No tinternet back then...
Basically, all they wanna know is your "fitness to drive" ongoing..?

I'm pretty confident they won't chase you up.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Just fill out the form and be honest

To be fair for cars they don’t really do any checks it’s all self certify so the chances are slim

The say a max fine of £1000 but it’s rare a judge goes that far

Now you know do the right thing. I’m sure they will just issue a license

They will remove any hgv entitlement

You also need to tell your insurance

Reactions: oldgreymare

LiamSwans97

Applying for a new licence doesn't necessarily mean you have been driving in the interim. I can't imagine the DVLA have the resources or inclination to find out.

I considered this, but the more I thought about it I actually had a speeding ticket about 5 years ago, so they would know I've been driving in some capacity.

LiamSwans97

Just fill out the form and be honest

To be fair for cars they don’t really do any checks it’s all self certify so the chances are slim

The say a max fine of £1000 but it’s rare a judge goes that far

Now you know do the right thing. I’m sure they will just issue a license

They will remove any hgv entitlement

You also need to tell your insurance

Thank you. So they may not even get in touch with my GP?
I fully intend to do the right thing and would have done it sooner had I known.

Thank you for all the replies :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Thank you. So they may not even get in touch with my GP?
I fully intend to do the right thing and would have done it sooner had I known.

Thank you for all the replies :)

They don’t normally for car/motorcycle even the 3 year renewals are self certified

I say don’t normally they can if they choose to…