Appointment tomorrow

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow with the ophthalmologist. Diabetic retinopathy and maculopathy picked up as part of my eye screening. It was picked up in May and it has taken till now to get an appointment, so I am worried that things may have deteriorated more since May.

Does anyone have experience of this, or can advise me on what the first appointment will entail?

Just feeling apprehensive.

• Friendly
Reactions: Lainie71

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry @Cragwood, I don’t have much experience of this but it’s completely natural to be apprehensive but try not to worry too much, we all tend to think the worst with things like this, just want to wish you luck for your appointment hope it goes well for you :)

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I hope your appointment goes well.

The appointments I've had have started with dilating drops being put into my eyes, then an OCT scan and 2 photographs of each eye, then the Consultant using a slit lamp to examine my eyes.

Cragwood

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope your appointment goes well.

The appointments I've had have started with dilating drops being put into my eyes, then an OCT scan and 2 photographs of each eye, then the Consultant using a slit lamp to examine my eyes.

Thank you. So, similar to an eye screening appointment? Did you have to have any other treatment?

Hopeful34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not the first year, but the next year had to have laser surgery.