appointment

hazey276

Hi folks, off to see my consultant tomorrow to get my results of my HBA1c. Hoping it's as good as last time (6.3) so it's fingers crossed but nervous.

The other thing is that i seem to be losing any indications when i'm having a hypo. I've had a few recently, the worst was when i woke up to a paramedic tapping my face (1.4). Is this normal or should you have some sort of indication ?

Hazey

Jay3109

Have you changed your meds at all Hazey? Also I think there is a tendency to lose hypo awareness the more often you actually hypo. It's almost like your body gets accustomed to the effect and stops warning you

hazey276

Hi Jay, no my meds have been the same for a long time and it's only recently i've had these hypo's and unusually it's sometimes when i've been ill when normally your levels run high.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Hazey,
Hypo unawareness is often caused by too many hypos. The way usually suggested to regain awareness is to run levels higher for a time, if you eliminate all hypos you may be able to 'reset' your awareness.
Lots of detail about hypos here: http://medweb.bham.ac.uk/easdec/prevention/hypos.htm#losing
Looking back at your posts you mentioned using ' levemir (35u) and Novorapid (10u) per meal.' Is this a fixed amount of rapid or do you now adjust for meals and exercise? Hypos are (almost invariably) caused by too much insulin. Perhaps you need to discuss your insulin regime with your doc
For examle, If you are going low overnight freqeuntly, then perhaps your basal needs some adjustment Alternatively, it could be a result of exercise many hours earlier, in that case a bedtime snack or a reduction of insulin with dinner might be appropriate.