1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Appointments during Covid-19

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Miriam12345, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Heathero

Heathero Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you have travel insurance and have ( hopefully) declared you’re diabetes this should be covered by them. If so give them a call first. Otherwise your GP should provide a letter re your health conditions. ( May charge for this)

• Like Like x 1
  2. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

3. Fairygodmother

Fairygodmother Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used the second set of categories that were set out by our beloved leaders way back at the start of Covid gaining ground here: they’re not bombproof, and they didn’t get me priority deliveries.
    Now that we know more about the people who are most likely to be hit hard I consider that I’m very vulnerable, being an elderly T1.

• Like Like x 1
    • Hug Hug x 1
  4. Barbtaylor

Barbtaylor · Newbie

I've was diagnosed in January this year, so am very new to the routine. So far I have had an appointment with the practice nurse at the surgery when she prescribed metformin, a phone call from a dietition, who was very helpful and an appointment at the hospital to check my eyes. I was supposed to have a checks up in May but of course that was unable to go ahead. Since then nothing. I have been following a low carb diet but feeling a bit concerned that I may not be managing my diet correctly. If not how will I know?

5. aard

aard · Well-Known Member

My experience, but this was the case before covid

6. Dianemacfaden

Dianemacfaden Type 1 · Active Member

You have to be pro active and ring up your diabetes team for an appointment as it is important that we get our full blood tests done to check our bodies are ok. I have managed to get an appointment at my GP surgery to get my bloods taken and then a phone appointment with my consultant to talk about them. I have also just managed to get an eye screening appointment next month too.It’s important that we don’t get forgotten about.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. JenniferW

JenniferW Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I agree so much! There have been ongoing problems at my GP practice in recent years, and when annual check-up appointments this year were cancelled, I contacted someone at my local branch of Diabetes UK, who followed it up and in the end, I've got all the regular appointments except the chiropody one, which no-one in our area's getting this year.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook