Apprehensive

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a days meeting on Thursday as part of the DESMOND diabetic training.
It is supposed to be for newly diagnosed but it has been over a year since I was diagnosed with type 2.
On the low carb diet I have lost 2.3 stone and my blood sugar has dropped to 39.
Concerned that they are going to say that low carb high fat is unhealthy and try to get it changed despite it being recommended by my nurse.

Reactions: Evie-D

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If they do you are free to ignore it and keep doing what has been working, that you are happy with and what your much more updated nurse has recommended.

Or you could choose not to attend as you have already achieved excellent control.

Or you could attend and set a vocal example of how wonderfully low carb works to the other attendees.

Just what can they do to “get it changed”? It’s you feeding yourself not them.

Reactions: malcs90

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I went to the supermarket recently and saw someone I am fairly sure was on the course I attended in 2016 - he was walking on a foot all bound up in a rubber cover with dressings and bandages, and the other one was artificial. If you can make the point that LCHF is controlling your blood glucose in the normal range, and only one person changes their thinking - you might make a difference to someone's life.
I was too easily kept quiet despite the others on the course all being in trouble - I was very recently diagnosed then - I would not stay silent these days.

malcs90

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not so bad as feared. The nurse on the course saying that it was ok to eat potatoes rice and pasta. Made the comment that my diabetic nurse had said that any veg that grew above ground good and below ground bad. She then slated her off daying that she used to work with her, naming her and saying she used to run the Desmond course with her and to ignore what she was saying and eat potatoes etc.
I spoke up and said that I would not be changing my diet as my diabetes seemed to be in remission, which the other trainer agreed with.
Had several others attending the course congratulating me.
This particular trainer did say that diabetes UK thought it ok to eat potatoes rice pasta and bread and recommended that we eat bread every day for roughage.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I just feel so sorry for the other folk on your course @malcs90 They will love the fact they can continue eating potatoes, rice and pasta, plus bread every day, and will love the fact they have been told it is OK on a diabetes course. I hope some of them find their way to this forum before it is too late.

1spuds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you can make the point that LCHF is controlling your blood glucose in the normal range, and only one person changes their thinking - you might make a difference to someone's life.
I was too easily kept quiet despite the others on the course all being in trouble - I was very recently diagnosed then - I would not stay silent these days.
Absolutely,great post.