Are any CCGs prescribing Freestyle Libre?

gugliemo

Hi all,

I am a type 1 diabetic of 10 years who seriously struggles to control my blood sugars. The only way I have found is to test my blood glucose levels constantly, up to 12 times a day on busy days. This has a big impact on my life as everything has to stop hourly while I prick my finger, it effects my work, my social life and my anxiety as I never know what my diabetes is doing and have become increasingly self-conscious about it. When I found out the Freestyle Libre was going to be available from November this was obviously a huge relief, but two months later and neither the CCG where I am based (East Kent) nor that in my home town (West Yorkshire) have approved it as it is considered too expensive (even though it would cost the NHS the same or less in my case due to the high numbers of testing strips I go through).

Has anybody found a CCG that actually prescribes the Libre Soft? It is so important to me that I would even consider moving city to try and become eligible for one.

D

Deleted Account

Sorry to read about your situation.
I cannot directly answer your question as I have not had my annual diabetes review since the Libre has been made available.

However, I would recommend trying to get a trial of the Libre if you haven't already.
Many find it invaluable.
But not all - I have trialed the Libre and Dexcom and found the readings they give significantly different to finger pricks even when I take into consideration the delay from both. For example, the Dexcom (which I found more accurate) constantly reported BG of under 4.0 when finger pricks suggest numbers like 5.7 and 6.4.
This is not to say there is no value with the Libre. For many people, the Libre is accurate enough and for others, it gives indications of what causes your BG to rise and fall.

I just wanted to raise this point to set the appropriate expectations and to encourage a trial before committing to it.

Reactions: novorapidboi26

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe West Sussex has given the go ahead.

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
90% of the health boards in Wales have started prescribing them. I have just taken a letter of my diabetes nurse to my doctor so will know in the next few days. Criteria has to be met and looking at you testing 12 times a day I would have thought you would meet the criteria

gugliemo

I will look into the trial but I definitely cannot afford to purchase the device. Is it a 4 week trial? I can't find any information about trials on the website.

Sorry to read about your situation.
I cannot directly answer your question as I have not had my annual diabetes review since the Libre has been made available.

However, I would recommend trying to get a trial of the Libre if you haven't already.
Many find it invaluable.
But not all - I have trialed the Libre and Dexcom and found the readings they give significantly different to finger pricks even when I take into consideration the delay from both. For example, the Dexcom (which I found more accurate) constantly reported BG of under 4.0 when finger pricks suggest numbers like 5.7 and 6.4.
This is not to say there is no value with the Libre. For many people, the Libre is accurate enough and for others, it gives indications of what causes your BG to rise and fall.

I just wanted to raise this point to set the appropriate expectations and to encourage a trial before committing to it.

D

Deleted Account

I will look into the trial but I definitely cannot afford to purchase the device. Is it a 4 week trial? I can't find any information about trials on the website.
My Diabetes Nurse arranged it for me and it was for one sensor which lasts or 14 days.

charlotte04

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi gugliemo, I'm a journalist and am interested in chatting to you about your situation. Would you drop me an email so I can explain more? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: