Are complications inevitable?

Doczoc

I'm 35 been diagnosed a week. Been reading lots, trying to be positive, changed my diet drastically, BG 4.9 this morning from 15.9 at diagnosis. But can't help feeling very negative over the complications side of things. If complications start appearing 10 years after diagnosis as I've read, I've got a petty miserable life to look forward to as my body will start breaking down at 45!

I keep reading how diabetes is progressive and am terrified at the prospect of losing my sight!

I'm determined to drop my weight and get fit and keep BG levels in check, my cholesterol and kidney function is healthy but my liver shows signs of fattiness. If I am able to keep everything in check how long can I reasonably expect to keep the complications at bay for?

Sorry for being so negative, I have my ups and downs...

mikecarter

Doczoc said:
I'm 35 been diagnosed a week. Been reading lots, trying to be positive, changed my diet drastically, BG 4.9 this morning from 15.9 at diagnosis. But can't help feeling very negative over the complications side of things. If complications start appearing 10 years after diagnosis as I've read, I've got a petty miserable life to look forward to as my body will start breaking down at 45!

I keep reading how diabetes is progressive and am terrified at the prospect of losing my sight!

I'm determined to drop my weight and get fit and keep BG levels in check, my cholesterol and kidney function is healthy but my liver shows signs of fattiness. If I am able to keep everything in check how long can I reasonably expect to keep the complications at bay for?

Sorry for being so negative, I have my ups and downs...

First off congratulations on the 4.9! I have been diagnosed just over three months so my experience with this diabetes thing is limited. My understanding of the situation is that if you keep your BG in the 5s that complications and progression can be kept at bay. That is why it is paramount that we are allowed the wherewithal to test. It sounds like you are getting a handle on your own situation. I do think you need to feel positive about what you have achieved in such a short space of time.My diabetes nurse does mention about the inevitability of progression , but she also tells me porridge and pasta are good for me :roll: Lots of evidence seems to suggest that progression is not ineveitable provided you keep your BG's down to the level you are achieving.

Keep the Faith
Mike

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Complications happen in Uncontrolled diabetes!!If you manage to keep your BS down to as near non diabetic numbers as possible this greatly reduces the risk of complications.They reckon that keeping it under 7 gives you a much better chance of being complication free.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya doc,
if you keep blood sugars in the right range then it isnt inevitable at all,there are people on this forum like fergus and sarah who have been diabetic forever, well sarah has been diabetic for longer than me and you have been walking the earth, and they both have no complications.
try not to worry because the problems may never happen :)

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Doczoc said:
I'm 35 been diagnosed a week. Been reading lots, trying to be positive, changed my diet drastically, BG 4.9 this morning from 15.9 at diagnosis.
Hi Doczoc,
That is a fantastic reduction is just one week. Just goes to show what is achievable with determination and effort.

But can't help feeling very negative over the complications side of things. If complications start appearing 10 years after diagnosis as I've read, I've got a petty miserable life to look forward to as my body will start breaking down at 45!
We all go through spells when diabetes gets us down. You are only very recently diagnosed and are still having to come to terms with what is a life-changing thing, so its understandable that you should feel miserable. But rather than feeling sorry for yourself you should be feeling enormously proud of the huge improvement in youg BG in just a week.

Remember why it is that we keep control of our BG - its because control reduces (and can sometimes eliminate) the risk of complications. As long as you are able to keep a lid on those BG levels then your body won't break down at 45, or 55, or 65.

Yes, you will keep seeing references to diabetes being progressive, and unfortunately the dietary advice given out by many healthcare professionals, and to their shame endorsed by DUK, will ensure that for those diabetics who follow that advice, progression will be inevitable. You have already seen for yourself what you can achieve. If you are able to maintain that control then you can avoid that progression and you will be protecting your sight, and your limbs.

If you keep up the diet then you will lose weight, will feel much fitter, will reduce your cholesterol and will also improve the health of your liver. As Hana has often reminded us, how do they make pate de foi gras? - they force feed geese on an extremely high carbohydrate diet until their livers almost explode. High carb = high liver fat.

So far you are doing fantastically - and I bet it hasn't hurt a bit! So will it be that hard to continue doing it if the end result is feeling fitter and living longer?

Trinkwasser

One day you're going to die.

However with sufficiently tight control you can probably put off the progression so that you die of something else first.

Sorry I'm not helping much am I? <G>

Seriously though there are an ever increasing number of diabetics who ARE bucking the odds and doing the opposite of what their medical professionals have predicted: they have improved many of their symptoms and their numbers and have not gone on insulin in three years: in fact there are many who have reduced or eliminated their meds (obviously Type 1s can't eliminate insulin but they can reduce it while maintaining excellent numbers)

I think the record among people known to me is 25 years, aided by a low carb diet and loads of cycling: he still has A1c in the fives.

Doczoc

Wow, what a response!!!!

Thank you all, so, so much! You've given me faith back!

You've all said exactly what I wanted and needed to hear. Thank you, thank you, thank you for your detailed responses I truly appreciate the time you've taken. Right onwards and, eh, onwards LOL

Thank you, thank you, thank you!