are fresh figs ok to eat with type 2

James2

hi
just wanted to pick people brains
my type two is stable
since been diagnosed 3 years ago i have tended to eat in small quantities , strawberry's , raspberry's , a pear , an apple .
i have read that fresh figs in small quantities can help in regulating blood sugars just wondered what other people experiences were , they will be in season in June so no rush.another reason for me is they are a good source of potassium as i am prone to low potassium. thee is only so much spinach i wont to eat i have the odd green banana .

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I haven't eaten figs in years, but last year I was given a fig tree cutting and in a couple of months, one fig had grown, so maybe this year I will be able to eat one or two, one fig is about 10 carbs.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I eat single small figs fairly regularly without any problems. Tesco suggests 9.5g carbs per 100g for their figs, and that 2 "typical" figs weigh 70g = 6.65 g carbs, which to my mind is perfectly acceptable as long as you don;t eat too many at one go! But probably best to be wary of dried figs as generally dried fruit will have higher carb/sugar content.

Check Google for potassium rich veggiesand fruits as there are a fair number that would be suitable in addition to spinach; e.g. broccoli, mushrooms, courgettes, augbergines... I used to get bad leg cramps (sometimes still do) and bananas were my pre diabetes go-to solution - I was quite surprised at the number of other (often higher potassium) alternatives.

Robbity

PS Usual disclaimer regarding testing your response to any new foods applies! :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 308541

I have eaten fresh figs, but I think I prefer the taste of the dried ones.

The fig tree that I got them from, the owner has now cut it down as it was taken over by fruit bats and as they're filthy animal pests he got rid of it to encourage them to go elsewhere.

James2

I eat single small figs fairly regularly without any problems. Tesco suggests 9.5g carbs per 100g for their figs, and that 2 "typical" figs weigh 70g = 6.65 g carbs, which to my mind is perfectly acceptable as long as you don;t eat too many at one go! But probably best to be wary of dried figs as generally dried fruit will have higher carb/sugar content.

Check Google for potassium rich veggiesand fruits as there are a fair number that would be suitable in addition to spinach; e.g. broccoli, mushrooms, courgettes, augbergines... I used to get bad leg cramps (sometimes still do) and bananas were my pre diabetes go-to solution - I was quite surprised at the number of other (often higher potassium) alternatives.

Robbity

PS Usual disclaimer regarding testing your response to any new foods applies! :D

hi thanks
i have a few things that i eat that are god for potassium just trying to find something new , with a few health problems the balance is you find something but then find it aggravates the other, but still amazingly fortunate .