Are there others like me? (Type 2 but feel like they shouldn't be)

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I am wondering if there are others like me - People who 'aren't supposed to have diabetes' - by that I mean under 40 (I was 25 at diagnosis), no known African or Black heritage and no family history of diabetes. The only factor I had was that I was overweight, but not drastically (around a UK14) - I walked daily and had a vegetarian diet, which I still do now but with added exercise.

It was even said by my doctors at the time and sometimes still that I am an enigma, and it should not have happened to me.

I've been tested for MODY and LADA diabetes, but the results suggested not.
However, I do wonder about LADA as I have recently decided to start taking insulin as I found the pills I was taking had become a lot less effective (and i was sick of the ghastly side effects, - Metformin I'm looking at you).

So, anyone else like this?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
How long ago were you originally diagnosed with T2, and how long ago did you have tests for LADA? Do you know which tests you had at the time and what the results were?

Rosiediabetes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
How long ago were you originally diagnosed with T2, and how long ago did you have tests for LADA? Do you know which tests you had at the time and what the results were?
10 years ago. I was 25 years old.
No idea on which, but they I believe we're inconclusive or negative.

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

I am wondering if there are others like me - People who 'aren't supposed to have diabetes' - by that I mean under 40 (I was 25 at diagnosis), no known African or Black heritage and no family history of diabetes. The only factor I had was that I was overweight, but not drastically (around a UK14) - I walked daily and had a vegetarian diet, which I still do now but with added exercise.

It was even said by my doctors at the time and sometimes still that I am an enigma, and it should not have happened to me.

I've been tested for MODY and LADA diabetes, but the results suggested not.
However, I do wonder about LADA as I have recently decided to start taking insulin as I found the pills I was taking had become a lot less effective (and i was sick of the ghastly side effects, - Metformin I'm looking at you).

So, anyone else like this?

theresaxx

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am type 2 diabetic diagnosed in my 40’s, now in my 60’s never been overweight. Always been just right weight or just underweight. I am an active person and exercise. I get fed up with the general idea that diabetics type two are overweight and inactive and brought the illness on themselves.
On 3 types of tablets and struggle to maintain weight and keep glucose levels down.