Are Type 1s exempt from paying VAT on mrficsl items?

Blanchoid

Hi all

The reason I'm asking this is that I bought a mini fridge, a Life-in-A in fact, and DHL claim that they have to collect VAT on this! Nothing from HMRC!!!

Which I think is a bit of BS! I would have thought it was import duty as it came from France NOT VAT.

But either way why did they deliver it if VAT is due??

By the way the Life-in-a is brilliant, it is a little more than the cheap Chinese rubbish, I had ordered on and it took 6 weeks to get here, was missing the batteries and would only fit 3 insulin pens! The Life-in-a takes at least 7 pens, only has one battery and arrived in two days and it keeps insulin very cool!! Highly recommended!!!

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
VAT is complicated, while the basic advice seems clear, ie no VAT on items designed especially for medical use/disability, the application of the rule is not.

'Import VAT' is separate from other import/customs duties.

Try to talk with an HMRC VAT expert rather than the usual call centre staff.

• Agree
Reactions: lessci

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
VAT is a minefield on imports, (UK VAT is complex in itself) I'm not an expert (HMRC would be able to advise better) it might be possible to reclaim the VAT paid through HMRC, but DHL won't release your goods until you've paid the import VAT, and will also charge you for "storage~" of said goods until you do pay it.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
If vat was not added on at the time of purchase and an ioss declaration made then use import duties and VAT will be added by the carrier

You DO have to pay this the vat exemption has to be declared at the time of purchase and international sellers may not be able to offer vat exemption

But the carrier is instructed to collect it and you have to pay it or that can take legal action against you

• Informative
Reactions: JohnEGreen