Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The TV news this morning on SKY was interviewing both of the Tory leadership candidates about their tax plans if elected, and both said they would consider a health tax on 'unhealthy' foods as being something they would consider as a matter of urgency

I do not have a link to these interviews, but I believe this is what they were discussing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48461028

Edit to add: Also covered just now by BBC. It is the so called 'sin taxes' that would be subject to review. Boris is worried that they target the underpriviledged unfairly, and Jeremy would tax the manufacturers rather than adding a sales tax. This debate is also heightened by the release today of a report that obesity causes higher rates of cancer than smoking (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48826850)

Last edited:
Reactions: msamson

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
As it's a private election only concerning the members of the Tory party it matters not to me what they say I dont get a vote. But what annoys me is the amount of license payers money the BBC are wasting on it with these endless propaganda opportunities for these few political opportunists.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are many causes underlying obesity they will not solve them with taxes or legislation education is the best answer and a less judgmental approach medical care for those who have it treat it rather than use it as a stick to beat people with.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wonder what is considered to be an 'unhealthy' food? Kale can make certain thyroid conditions worse and thereby lead to obesity. Fruit has fructose which can cause fatty liver which can lead to obesity.

I am coming round to the idea that we should simply tax all processed foods. If it's got chemicals in it which aren't food at all, then tax it. Stop demonising sugar which isn't the sole cause of obesity.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
So is this a forum about diabetes or now changing into a political, there out to get me, the illuminati are running the world or is Boris actually one of the lizard creatures dressed in a human suite to fool us all?
Well as boris is a cousin of mine that would make me one too but your the one dressed up like a science fiction hero captain.scarlet and a puppet at that Gerry Anderson my hero.

Every thing is political that includes the availability of life saving medicines like Insulin.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
The TV news this morning on SKY was interviewing both of the Tory leadership candidates about their tax plans if elected, and both said they would consider a health tax on 'unhealthy' foods as being something they would consider as a matter of urgency

I do not have a link to these interviews, but I believe this is what they were discussing
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48461028

Edit to add: Also covered just now by BBC. It is the so called 'sin taxes' that would be subject to review. Boris is worried that they target the underpriviledged unfairly, and Jeremy would tax the manufacturers rather than adding a sales tax. This debate is also heightened by the release today of a report that obesity causes higher rates of cancer than smoking (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-48826850)

The word 'consider' is used twice, 'review'............... I for one, won't be holding my breath.

Reactions: Kim Possible

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Can't get a CGM? That's politics.
Can't get an appointment or a referral to see a HCP? That's politics.
Tax on sugary drinks including Lucozade? That is politics.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So is this a forum about diabetes or now changing into a political, there out to get me, the illuminati are running the world or is Boris actually one of the lizard creatures dressed in a human suite to fool us all?
This seems to be a fairly recent trend. Maybe there should be a paranoia sub-forum.

Reactions: britishpub
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Boris as a lizard lol, similar to lizard man in Flash Gordon :hilarious:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with your implied sentiment, and it would indeed be sad if this thread descends into "X" vs "Y" politics. However, if you read through the threads on this forum, you cannot fail to notice that diet and food choices figure as a major factor in many diabetes treatment plans. Many of us are directly affected by what we do or don't eat.

So when politicians of ANY persuasion try to use legislaion or fiscal policies to affect the way our diets are provided, then this will impact on a large proportion of the Forum members. We are also needing to scrutinize the need for such intervention to make sure that it is not being steered by special interest lobbyists, or those with a hidden agenda. That is why I raised the OP in the soapbox section so that discussion and debate has a chance of following,

There is another associated matter that may also get aired here, and that is that the current government has engaged the services of the Lancet journal to advise on how to implement changes to the foodchain to reduce obesity. The Lancet, as we also know, are also advising the Government on the global diet to prevent Climate Change, so I suspect that they will come up with the same recommendations and policies. We also know who owns the Lancet, and who is bankrolling these initiatives.

Reactions: mariavontrapp

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Everyone,

After several recent thread closures where posts degenerated into off topic bickering and point scoring, this topic is already threatening to go the same way.

If it does, it will be closed.

So stay on topic, stay polite (and yes, that includes everyone, even politicians, dieticians and people who DARE to make different food choices from yourself), and this thread stands a chance of staying open. If not, it will be closed.

M

Member496333

This seems to be a fairly recent trend. Maybe there should be a paranoia sub-forum.

And maybe there should be **** stirring forum where those who like to gatecrash discussions that don’t interest them can all hang out and congratulate each other on the number of threads they managed to get locked.

Reactions: britishpub

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does say in the forum rules...

A. General Forum Information

1. ...please be compassionate, considerate and kind towards others. Civil debate is healthy, but rudeness, bullying and/or Member belittling is not acceptable and will not be tolerated.

2. Come to the Forum with an open mind and read the posts. If you do not agree with something then ignore it or ask constructive questions.

3. Respect others’ differences. Do not disparage because they do not share your opinion or way of doing things.

I feel a few posts on this thread break forum rules, surely talk of paranoia isn't being kind? I don't understand why people who don't even agree with the thread title bother to post on it or read it. I certainly don't waste my time posting if I don't think a thread is worthwhile, I let those who are enjoying the thread get on with it. If you don't like the subject matter of a thread just ignore it, but please don't disrupt it to stop others from participating in it. That has to be another form of bullying surely?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Everyone,

After several recent thread closures where posts degenerated into off topic bickering and point scoring, this topic is already threatening to go the same way.

If it does, it will be closed.

So stay on topic, stay polite (and yes, that includes everyone, even politicians, dieticians and people who DARE to make different food choices from yourself), and this thread stands a chance of staying open. If not, it will be closed.

To get back on topic of Obesity, here is what the Lancet have reported to the government so far
https://www.thelancet.com/commissions/global-syndemic

Sorry, just realised they have linked it to Climat Change, so it is still a derailment. However, it is what the government is being fed in terms of the truth.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

This thread is now being closed.

As I informed everyone in post #13 the thread would be closed if further off topic and disagreeing posts were made.
And we got 3 for 3.
One argumentative, and 2 derailing, with one attempt to introduce another contentious topic.

Well, you can't say you weren't warned.

Reactions: ziggy_w
Status
Not open for further replies.