Are You A Cfs/me/fms Parent To A Type 1 Child?

Dear Community

Anyone else have a child with Type1 but you as the parent have CFS/FMS/ME?

My 13 year old son has very recently been diagnosed with Type1. I (his mother) have Mitochondrial Failure, giving symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, which makes me virtually house bound. Considering my limitations in stamina and the life changes that Type1 has given my son and now me too, how do you cope with supporting your child with this illness whilst trying to manage your own illness as well?

Feeling very overwhelmed and emotional by it all.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm sorry, I have no advice for you but I know you will get support here. Best wishes.

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
First off a hug.
Second, do you have any other family support?
I think looking for some JDRF camps/ support for your son might help . Luckily at 13 he should be mature enough to do his own testing and injecting. Ask if he can be prescribed a Libre to help monitor levels.
Be kind to yourself too.

HannahL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hiya, I have ME and have recently been diagnosed with T1 diabetes it is difficult to cope with both, is your son quite open to learning about diabetes?? X

Jayden2407

Dear Community

Anyone else have a child with Type1 but you as the parent have CFS/FMS/ME?

My 13 year old son has very recently been diagnosed with Type1. I (his mother) have Mitochondrial Failure, giving symptoms of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Fibromyalgia, which makes me virtually house bound. Considering my limitations in stamina and the life changes that Type1 has given my son and now me too, how do you cope with supporting your child with this illness whilst trying to manage your own illness as well?

Feeling very overwhelmed and emotional by it all.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your conditions, my 11 yeah old has recently been diagnosed type 1 also and within 4 weeks he is testing his own BG and doing his own injections. Hopefully your son will pick these up fairly quickly too (if he hasn’t already).
I’m doing all of his carb counting for now but all other things you can do from home. The diabetes team should give you full support, my sons are a great help.

Good luck with it x