Are you disabled?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I have never classed myself as disabled, at times it can be a struggle and I wish I didn't have have diabetes, but life goes on and I'm a fighter, walking along some rocky roads, I have stumbled at times, but never give up and I still work.

lmc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I think it is a disability. I also think it depends on the diabetic you ask. Speaking, as someone who has always worked, it is definitely a disadvantage in the workplace.

It also depends on the individual diabetic. I have worked with 2 other type 1 diabetics. One asked me how do you adjust your insulin? (15 years after being diagnosed) and the other hardly took any insulin at all. Both had perfect hba1c. As someone who has always had to inject lots of insulin and adjust it regularly and still struggling with hba1c I am convinced we are not all the same. I think it also depends on hypos, hypo unawareness and complications as well as how long you have had diabetes and what age and decade as to the answer.

Reactions: Sweetheart66

nessals946

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I have been diabetic for 42 years,my kidneys arent working properly which result in high blood pressure but my main "thing" is that im registered blind.I have no sight in one eye and partial sight in the other but i do not consider myself to be disabled.Maybe its pride that stops me from considering myself as such.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Im to proud to class my diabetes as a disability however the reality is slighty different.

My adventures in life need to be planned adjusted and sometimes i fail. I sometimes struggle to do things due to tiredness from erratic sugar levels, going low often i need to stop doing what im doing. Going high im sick and dizzy. i feel i need to rest often. I try so hard with my diabetes but it does get me very down at points in my life.

I work in care dealing with vulnerale adults doing 12 hour shifts and at times i do struggle badly.

I gave up my fave hobby which was the gym due to hypos... i ended up gaining weight at the gym instead of losing due to hypos. I took up walking instead but it isnt the same. So yes id say its a disabilit but doesn't stop me working but can have a huge affect on sickness days.
I feel for you.
Some type1s are on 'moderate exercise log' thread and finding ways to get around those hypos, some days their successful and some days aren't as much. Mine is due to bulging discs my immobility rather than very very naughty bgs. I'm going to be more available in january so would you join us?
We are having to outwit the hypos, but great achievement when done day at a time. I'd love to see you there in january if december is busy for you too.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I wonder if non-complicated diabetes is not a disability and complicated diabetes is? Obviously complications from uncontrolled diabetes is disadvantageous.

I think people who don't have diabetes or people in denial with none complicated diabetes are the lucky ones.
I bet a many sufferers envy none sufferers.

I feel for all.
We are lumbered with diabetes and just have to lump it!
Must be nice not having too. (Dream on, for me anyway.)
Reversal? I'm stuggling to maintain never mind reverse its huge effects on my mind and body.
Up and down like a yo-yo without none complicated basic micronutrients kept in strict regiment. Its blo*dy hard work. A distraction from more wonderful things in life.
(Woke up after a soaking wet night and hypo feelings to a 9.2 fbg, eh?)
I'm not amused. Dropping everything and an ill 4yr old to assess whether well enough for school or not.
I've got 30mins to turn my morning around on betablockers for high blood pressure slowing me down! Argh!!!
Disabled or just unlucky?