1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Are you open about diabetes or embarrassed about it?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Medina27, Sep 4, 2020.

1. Haidi

Haidi Family member · Member

My god, I cannot believe that anyone would feel ashamed or embarrassed about having diabetes! There is absolutely no difference from having a high blood pressure or arthritis, for instance, as it is not something contagious that anyone would need to be concerned about.

And I see injecting insulin in public the same as putting your glasses on to help you see better, as both serve to the same purpose—helping you to survive. You are not endangering anyone by doing one or the other, so please, by all means, do what you need to do whenever and wherever you need to do it, and if some ignorant people try to give you a hard time about it, either ignore them or educate them as it's fine time they've learned their lesson. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. zenabubbles

zenabubbles · Newbie

I'm embarrassed about it. I'm only just starting to accept it, I feel it's personal and no one needs to know about it. I will never share it with anyone I know. I was almost in denial for the first 4 years, I hate having this label and never tell anyone that I've got it. Sorry to be negative but that's how I feel, it's also made me feel depressed, I had this diagnosis after a relationship break up and I believe the stress and upset I was going through catapulted my body into this condition.

• Hug Hug x 3
  3. Pam R

Pam R · Member

I had an issue with hyperthyroidism and had my thyroid out in December 2018 but didn’t seem to be recovering and had all the symptoms of diabetes. It was my Optician that suggested that I should have a blood test and hey! Bingo I had T1D. My endocrinologist said that thyroid problems and T1D are often linked - both being autoimmune illnesses. I am the oldest person at our medical practice to be diagnosed! What an accolade to have!

• Winner Winner x 4
  4. Medina27

Medina27 Type 1 · Active Member

Thanks for your answers everyone.

Yesterday I did a blood check in front of my work colleuges who promptly asked if I was diabetic. I said I sure am!

• Winner Winner x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  5. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

If you are type 1 then people you know, friends and work colleagues could, potentially, safe your life if you ever had a bad hypo

• Agree Agree x 7
  6. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I don't mind people knowing, I've always told colleagues in case of hypos at work and I do always tell people if I'm somewhere/doing something where a hypo would be dangerous. I inject publicly but warn people in case of needle phobics; that just seems polite. I don't describe myself as diabetic because, as some others have said, that feels to me as if it's what defines me and it isn't. I have diabetes, amongst all the other things I am and can do. I wish people who feel ashamed or embarrassed knew just how many people are walking around out there with equally invisible conditions. We are not alone ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Antje77

Antje77 LADA · Moderator
    Staff Member

Well done!

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. Lowcarb 2

Lowcarb 2 Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

I have been open about mine so friends and colleagues are aware when I am having a hypo at work they allow me 1\2 break till I feel better and family are always saying have you got your testing kit, jelly babies etc with you when we go out and to make strangers aware i wear an SOS necklace

• Like Like x 2
  9. rosemaree

rosemaree Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was just thinking about this this morning! I was diagnosed with type 2 last year, at 31 years old. Strangely enough, I have no issue telling strangers that I am diabetic, but still have not been able to tell anyone I know (except my partner, and sister - it was a little hard to hide from them).

I get what you mean about the word seeming kind of dirty though. Most of us have been so over exposed to media and uneducated assumptions that such associations feel almost ingrained in our thinking. It is hard to get away from - but it does give us a chance to reconsider the way we learn and think about things.
    I was extremely unhealthy and overweight for some time before being diagnosed, and was in general just ashamed of myself - I didn't want to be seen then, as much as I don't want to tell people I know now (that I am diabetic).

For me it was not just assumptions, I was genuinely unhealthy and overweight, but as I have been learning about myself and this disease, I see that I've actually had longstanding issues since I was a child. There is so much more to it than the label people try use as a prejudice against others.

By the time I was diagnosed and around people again, I had lost a significant amount of weight, so the strangers I told assumed I was type 1. It is actually quite interesting watching people grapple with their own assumptions, trying to understand how someone young, and relatively normal sized, could be type 2 - for some reason I just don't feel the need to explain myself to strangers, I give them the information that I can and leave them to do with it what they will.
    Unfortunately with people I know, it is not as easy for me. I am very timid and have been privy to their gossip and ways for too long to assume they won't treat me the same way when I am not around - either that or they will instantly become experts on the topic - neither of which I can handle at this moment. I realise I am essentially doing the same thing, not giving it a chance past my own assumptions, but that is something I am working on!

• Like Like x 1
  10. rosemaree

I was always open about my mental health issues, much more so than diabetes, but I found the people I was around were not very accepting of it, like telling me to just not be depressed, or acting like whatever issue I had wasn't real. I somehow persisted through it though, and now some of those people, after many many years, are starting to open up about their own issues - some are still in denial and just get awkward, but I leave them to it :p

Hopefully one day I'll be able to be as open about my diabetes,

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. rosemaree

Oh gosh, the "I wish I was on your diet" - I have had a few of those. Mostly from people who don't know I am diabetic, so I just try avoid the discussion, but there have been one or two where I just mentioned I had actually been ill, needless to say they didn't want my diet anymore :hilarious:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Sarbak

Sarbak Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have told all my close friends and family - if I was working right now, I'd probably be quite open about it there too. I actually see my T2 diagnosis as something that was largely my fault, unlike many here (and, to be clear, I'm not saying they're wrong). So, when I got my diagnosis, it was a wake up call for me and I have quite a few equally overweight/obese friends, so I thought it might be useful if my diagnosis served as a warning to them. I wasn't scared or embarrassed when I got my diagnosis - in a way, I was grateful. It explained an ongoing, painful and perplexing issue that I was having with abscesses. As soon as I knew what was causing them, I changed my diet and lifestyle... literally that day. And now I have zero abscess problems, have lost a tonne of weight (long way to go, but I'll get there) and am more than happy to discuss the condition, the potential complications and my diet with anyone who is interested. My mum and two of my close friends are now all dieting, following my advice re low carbs. If I can serve as an example or inspiration to others who are complacent about their weight and encourage them to become more healthy, then it's a win win.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Hi @Antje77 As soon as I became more open about it, life settled down, even with its darker moments.

• Winner Winner x 3
  14. Grant_Vicat

Grant_Vicat Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

Maybe not with a lancet!

• Funny Funny x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook