Are you taking any specific COVID precautions?

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With covid cases rising, kids starting school soon (I have two kids), will you be taking any specific precautions to protect yourself as a Type 1?

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Nope - my son (17) goes back on Friday. He wants to wear a mask at school but not to protect me - it’s to protect others from anything he might pick up FROM me, as I’ve been working for the ambulance service transporting Covid patients since Easter. We all carry alcohol gel and a supply of masks to wear when we feel it’s appropriate while out and about. I’ve been taking high strength vitamin D but other than that, no particular special precautions. Obviously keeping my glucose levels as non-diabetic as possible, but I do that whether there’s a plague on or not.

Wayward Blood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, changing career! I’ve just given up piano teaching in favour of proofreading. I’ve recently got a proofreading qualification which I started before I even knew about COVID and lockdown wasn’t a thing. I’d planned to do piano teaching at the same time, but going to multiple students to teach didn’t feel safe. Therefore I’ve packed it in and I’m keeping my fingers crossed that my new venture will work out. But in either case, I won’t be taking what I consider to be unnecessary risks with my type 1.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Nope - my son (17) goes back on Friday. He wants to wear a mask at school but not to protect me - it’s to protect others from anything he might pick up FROM me, as I’ve been working for the ambulance service transporting Covid patients since Easter. We all carry alcohol gel and a supply of masks to wear when we feel it’s appropriate while out and about. I’ve been taking high strength vitamin D but other than that, no particular special precautions. Obviously keeping my glucose levels as non-diabetic as possible, but I do that whether there’s a plague on or not.

As a matter of interest, what sort of levels of Vitamin D are you taking?

For me? All I have done was initially added a decent dose of Vitamin C, which have continued for now. I was already taking a decent dose of Vit D, with K2.

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Go @LooperCat a voice of sanity! Yes numbers are going up, but are hospital admissions? No! The absolute opposite. Which if this pandemic was still a huge issue they would be. The amount of normality and people going to work has increased exponentially. So if hospital admissions are still going down that is good. It’s time this country was more positive.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Go @LooperCat a voice of sanity! Yes numbers are going up, but are hospital admissions? No! The absolute opposite. Which if this pandemic was still a huge issue they would be. The amount of normality and people going to work has increased exponentially. So if hospital admissions are still going down that is good. It’s time this country was more positive.
I should add to that - I won’t be going back to my supply teaching job as we’re not allowed to wear masks in the classroom (as it currently stands). I feel safer working in the ambulance because I can mitigate the potential viral load with appropriate PPE. And I do avoid crowded places - I’ve always hated them, so now I have a valid excuse to keep away :D

And hospital admissions are probably going down because it’s already hospitalised or killed the most fragile. They may well increase again as shielders start to emerge and succumb - preparations are being made for this. The government appears hell bent on pursuing it’s “herd immunity” strategy, and they’ve already killed off over 40,000 of the most vulnerable (expensive) people...

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
Guess the only thing I’ve done is to stop reading or listening to the press. They put the fear of god into everyone , there is so much conflicting data about , I wash my hands but not excessively but I’ve always done that , I wear a mask I eat healthily am I worried I’m going to die nooooooo, , I’m probably more concerned that if I do die of whatever my death certificate will say COVID 19 , but I’ll be dead anyways so will it matter nooooooo
Be safe be sensible

Circuspony

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm still risk assessed as too high risk for the office so working from home, avoiding crowds, avoiding people who think it's some form of mass government conspiracy and generally being sensible.

I suspect social distancing and people spending time outdoors has kept the hospitalization rate low. Kids going back to school will be interesting - they are germ spreaders at the best of times.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I’m keeping my distance at work (quite doable and it’s a huge high well ventilated space) 2 days a week, wearing a mask mostly, if anyone else is around, but the job requires decent masks a lot of the day anyway. Only meeting anyone else (very few) outside. Food shopping with a decent surgical mask if I haven’t managed a delivery. Washing hands etc. Rest of the family doing the same or even less if they aren’t working. Been corresponding with Secondary school about concerns and today have been invited in to discuss it so will be attending there in a mask!

Reactions: Fairygodmother

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Each to their own opinion but I do not understand this 'hospital admissions are going down' so no worries mantra. Of course they are, we've been in lockdown since March and even over the last month or so we've only just started to put our heads over the parapet, we're also social distancing so hardly 'normal'. Wait another month or so and see if you can say the same then. As for this 'voice of sanity', are you saying that those with concerns YOU may not have are therefore insane? My job (very similar to LooperCat's but probably more random & chaotic and with very close proximity to members of the public in all manner of situations) causes ME concerns. Please think about others who may be in a different situation to yours. I don't know about you but many of us are well into our 50s and still working in high risk jobs.

Last edited:

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Each to their own opinion but I do not understand this 'hospital admissions are going down' so no worries mantra.

From my point of view it’s about the fact that despite the fact cases are now going up, there is no corresponding rise in deaths/hospitalisation. Why that is - less virulent form of the virus, more testing meaning asymptomatic people being picked up, or inaccurate testing are all possibilities - is not clear, but it is a very positive sign.

Of course that doesn’t mean that there is no need for precautions - at whatever level seems appropriate to individual circumstances - but for me it’s a clear sign that there is an end in sight.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I treat it a little like the whole HIV/AIDS thing back in the 80s. "Cover up" whilst doing yer "social" thing...
Oddly I read up on that subject recently, it scanned that predominantly older people where still getting sadly diagnosed??
Which puzzled me. Possibly asyptomatic for years..

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I treat it a little like the whole HIV/AIDS thing back in the 80s. "Cover up" whilst doing yer "social" thing...
Oddly I read up on that subject recently, it scanned that predominantly older people where still getting sadly diagnosed??
Which puzzled me. Possibly asyptomatic for years..
Have you got a link to that? Sounds interesting.

Fairygodmother

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, reliance on unsupported 'facts', unkindness, unfairness.
I continue to wear a mask, social distance, avoid non-mask wearers in enclosed spaces and limit contacts. Hand sanitiser goes with us whenever either of us goes out and about and purchases are either washed in high percentage soap or quarantined for three days. We’re both 70+ and could possibly be more trashed by the wily virus than many younger people. I suspect that hospital admissions are going down because the majority of people who are now catching covid are younger and have immune systems that haven’t been compromised by the ageing process. Our older daughter goes back to her teaching job today and our son-in-law and grandsons in the East Midlands went back last week. We’re hoping for good weather so we can continue having socially distanced meetings with our older daughter.
I find that I can be cheerful much of the time, especially as there are still good things to do outdoors and sensible friends to meet up with, but occasionally the impacts of CovSars19 bring the dark clouds closer. I’m not looking forward to the bare branches of winter.

Last edited:

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I work in a very busy garage as a receptionist. We have a screen up now and sanitize the keys when given to me. A lot more washing of hands happen now. Running pretty much as normal

Reactions: Fairygodmother

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got a link to that? Sounds interesting.

I will try & find it.. It was weeks ago.
Thinking outside the box, I was working on the premise regarding the broad missconception that only a "certain demographic" contracted the virus at the time it seemed to dominate the tabloid sensationalist media?