Arthiritis

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi guys,

Question :)

My 25 year old sister has been told she has arthiritis in her knees and may have to have steroid injections.

Anyone have any tips and if possible explain what it involves. She was quite upset to be told that at 25 so didn't ask the Doc any other questions apart from when she would have to have injections.

So i've come to the only place i really know where to ask medical related.

Any help appreciated.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi. Hope this helps? a week last tuesday I had steroid cortisone injection in my left diabetic frozen shoulder as it was stiff painful n sore to move with limited twist n reach out movement simple things like wash n brush my hair n driving putting car into 2nd n 3rd n 4th gears became excrutiaiting painful n was going round shreiking! despite pain n antiinflammation meds. Took my mum with me as I was wary to what they were going to do!!! can you go along with your sister? then she can look at you n chat to you when it happens? was told by my gp that initially 2-3 days after the injection it would get worse then would dissappear by the 4th or 5th day. I actually didnt believe him, just said yeah okay... they have to inject into the lining of the shoulder like in the gap where the shoulder moves your arm up n down. Was a teeeeny weeeeny ultra thin needle honest!!! n I didnt even feel it go in was gripping chair with my other hand terrified staring at my mum n asked her has he done it yet??? she told me it was done n over with, I was gobsmacked as was yet waiting for it to happen. Your sister shouldnt have any thing to fear honestly. Yes it did go more painful over the next 2-3 days then by the weekend it was n has remained totallly painfree n so worth it. Now can move it properly drive n groom myself totally painfree. If you or someone can go with your sister n support her am sure it will benefit her . Anna.x

ebony321

Dislikes
anna29 said:
Hi. Hope this helps? a week last tuesday I had steroid cortisone injection in my left diabetic frozen shoulder as it was stiff painful n sore to move with limited twist n reach out movement simple things like wash n brush my hair n driving putting car into 2nd n 3rd n 4th gears became excrutiaiting painful n was going round shreiking! despite pain n antiinflammation meds. Took my mum with me as I was wary to what they were going to do!!! can you go along with your sister? then she can look at you n chat to you when it happens? was told by my gp that initially 2-3 days after the injection it would get worse then would dissappear by the 4th or 5th day. I actually didnt believe him, just said yeah okay... they have to inject into the lining of the shoulder like in the gap where the shoulder moves your arm up n down. Was a teeeeny weeeeny ultra thin needle honest!!! n I didnt even feel it go in was gripping chair with my other hand terrified staring at my mum n asked her has he done it yet??? she told me it was done n over with, I was gobsmacked as was yet waiting for it to happen. Your sister shouldnt have any thing to fear honestly. Yes it did go more painful over the next 2-3 days then by the weekend it was n has remained totallly painfree n so worth it. Now can move it properly drive n groom myself totally painfree. If you or someone can go with your sister n support her am sure it will benefit her . Anna.x

Hi anna,

Thanks for that! that is really helpful, i've read a few things but i think it's always better to hear from someone who has experienced it.

I've offered to go with her if she needs me to, She is a mentally strong person, but she's never really had anything medically wrong apart from asthma so it's a bit scary for her the prospect of injections etc. She knows obviously i can sympathise with her, but it's still different and i want to be there for her like she has for me with my diabetes.

How often do you have the injections if you dont mind me asking? she's been warned she needs to not drive or walk much after as the pain might be worse before it gets better.

Thanks again it really is a big help! :)

bowell

Dislikes
Tablets, Mums with pushchair who push in ,Bus and WC
I have revived cortisone injection in knees I have never felt anything
few years back now . was twice a year for two years then received a new joint

Did hurt a little more for a week or so later then all fine and dandy :D

I every 6<>8 weeks I now receive spinal injections in my neck and lower back help with pain control much the same thing ,,I don't feel anything , very fine needles
Always get a round of toast and cup of tea afterwards as not allowed to eat 8 hrs before
(Spinal injections) as a diabetic normally 1st or 2nd on the list

One of the easiest things i have done to me

Bob

Sue o2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I hope these injections work for you, they didnt work for me when i had frozen shoulder last year,
i had one at the doctors surgery and the second at the hospital, i ended up having surgery where they found i had arthritis in my shoulder, the op was last sept took a time and a lot of exercise but am glad to say im almost back to normal movement now and the best thing of all is im not in any pain, :D

Sue

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi. ebony, answer to your're questions, was told not to drive or lift anything heavy for 3 days after had injections and they can last up to 6months 'if' successful , which mine was n is .... honestly life is much better now. its lovely to hear that you wish to support your sister as she has supported you during your journey with diabetes, we all have good n bad days with it. oh n doc did say with some people they find n need a top up of steroid 3 monthly if they get flare ups [not sure what this means?] I wish to reassure you that I have certainly benefetted from mine! Glad to help you. Anna.x

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
It should also be remembered that Steroid injections can play havoc with Bg levels.......it is wise to test a bit more often whilst on this treatment.........see what effect it has on you personally.

ebony321

Dislikes
Thanks for all your replies, it's nice to know they aren't painful which i think will ease her worries about that.

My sister doesn't have diabetes so i think she'll be fine with them, but it is interesting to know they can affect your BG levels, something i wasnt aware of. so i shall bear that in mind if i ever have to take any :)

It'll be nice to be able to tell her these things, and i'm sure i'll be back if she has any specific questions, she was just a bit numb at the doctors so didn't ask much, so i wanted to find some solid things to be able to tell her to ease her worry :)

thanks again guys, forever helpful you lot!