Arthritis and injections

nannoo_bird

I have osteo-arthritis in my hands, and am finding it harder and more painful when i inject myself. Whether it is connected or not, I also find finger-pricking very painful too. Does anyone suffer this too, and if so have you found any solutions? Many thanks.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed severe osteo-arthritis in my hands about 5 years ago. It took me over a year to get referred to a consultant. It wasn't doing injections that was my problem. It was squeezing the washing-up liquid, lifting anything heavy in a bag with handles, doing all the ordinary things you have to do to look after yourself or cook a meal. I now have cortisone injection in my basal thumb joints when the pain starts to increase. It works well, but send your BS up like a sky rocket ! You need extra insulin for some days if you're a type 1. The injections are also painful in themselves, so not an easy answer. Are you sure it's osteo-arthritis ?

Reactions: nannoo_bird

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi there nannoo bird can you tell us where your injecting eg top of arms/ buttocks/ thighs /stomach and are you rotating the sights also what lancets do you use for fingers testing some are more harsh then others im sure people on here will give good ideas keep well

nannoo_bird

I developed severe osteo-arthritis in my hands about 5 years ago. It took me over a year to get referred to a consultant. It wasn't doing injections that was my problem. It was squeezing the washing-up liquid, lifting anything heavy in a bag with handles, doing all the ordinary things you have to do to look after yourself or cook a meal. I now have cortisone injection in my basal thumb joints when the pain starts to increase. It works well, but send your BS up like a sky rocket ! You need extra insulin for some days if you're a type 1. The injections are also painful in themselves, so not an easy answer. Are you sure it's osteo-arthritis ?

Yes, I have problems with all those things too. I think it is a mixture of problems - diagnosed with Hebedens nodes (osteoarthritis), I have trigger fingers (like carpal tunnel) and neuropathy. I have developed a phobia recently too, I have become super-squeamish, so don't think I could cope with the thumb injections.

I can only inject my insulin into my stomach - I have tried my thighs and arms, and that really hurt. I'm not sure 're the gauge of the finger prick needles, as I'm in bed!!

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
nannoo_bird

I could have written your question. There are a couple of things suggested to me about injecting that might help so bear with me.

I can't now properly use my pen due to severe hand/finger pain. It is way too painful to hold that pen and try to inject my arms, buttocks or legs. I can only, with difficulty, inject into my tummy. Due to the awkwardness of each injection (sometimes four attempts) I can and do sometimes get leakage. I’m injecting into lumps and bumps, no matter how much I try and rotate in that area. My average sugar level has gone through the roof as the insulin can’t do its job properly.

My diabetic consultant feels it could be diabetic cheiroarthropathy but before a final diagnosis I’ve first to see a rheumatologist, a physio and an expert in nerve pain. I'm watching the letter box every day!

Two things that I have to thank my DSN for and maybe they might help you. She found that there was a much lighter (plastic) pen for the insulin I use and got it for me. It feels easier to hold compared to the heavier metal pen I previously used. Her second suggestion was also great. Think of the inside of a toilet roll, get foam rubber that size and thickness and have someone slice along it (my local DIY shop helped with all of this). The pen sits tightly inside the foam rubber and I seem to be able to grip it better.

For 9 months now I’ve looked for equipment of any sort to help but with no luck. Even the arthritis charities couldn’t find anything. That’s pretty bad as not everyone can easily use an insulin pen.

Bill

nannoo_bird

Bill, my pens are plastic. It's not the weight, it's the angle and the grip. I'm seeing my doctor later, and will see what he says, but I think the foam rubber idea is brilliant. Thanks.

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hope you find an answer. Arthritis runs in my family so I've seen its effects in other people. I can imagine foam rubber will work. I used to have that round my toothbrush handle before I got proper treatment, but I know the injections will not be an answer for everyone. I use an electric toothbrush now with a much wider handle, so I consider that particular problem solved. I still can't open lots of jars though, even though I bought the jar opening things that the occupational therapist suggested. My husband is the one that uses them and he doesn't have arthritis !

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
JMK, I think we all just take for granted about the ease of using our hands and fingers. I certainly did but now it's become a real problem for me. The pain can be so severe. I need to remember to adjust the angle of my hands or move my fingers in a certain way to lessen the pain but I forget and pay for it! Just this past lunchtime I picked up a knife off a flat surface, something I know to be careful about, and I forgot. Folks two streets from here must have heard my swearing!

Did you have cortisone injections for the treatment of your arthritis? I think that might be one of the suggestions I will get when I see the rheumatologist but I'm becoming a wee bit unsettled about it. For you, were they worth getting and did they cause changes to your sugar levels?

Bill

JMK1954

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Bill, I can only say that for me cortisone injections are worth the pain they cause. It just makes it possible to use my hands again without pain, unless I try to do something fairly ambitious. I was told I could have 3 sets of injections a year, a set being one in each basal thumb joint during the same hospital appointment. They have just started to do them under Ultrasound guidance, where I go in Liverpool, but the set I had a fortnight ago took longer to do as a result, so I'm not sure it's an improvement. How did you get to see a rheumatologist ? I was told that's a waste of time for osteo-arthritis. I'm sending you a personal message.

nannoo_bird

Guys, just a note, have you tried compression gloves? I bought some and am really impressed.

Saw the doc, and he wants me to have an x-ray to see what the problem is. He does not think it is trigger finger.