Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I am in T2 category because that's what I am! I ate the wrong foods because that's what the recommended diet was for many years - low fat, low calorie. That's a bad lifestyle choice! I was active until I suffered from depression and ME, so I was forced to become 'lazy'. I went to my GP for help to lose weight. The diets I was given didn't work. One of them was the GI diet. I put on weight on it and had to give up after 2 weeks because I couldn't afford to put on any more pounds. At that time I had been gaining 7 pounds a year. I gained 8 pounds in just 2 weeks by following the GI diet and the recommended portion sizes.

My husband went to the same GP about a minor illness and was told 'Keep on doing whatever you are doing' So he did. He ate 6 Snickers bars that night 'just because they were there' He is slim and not T2. My diet has always been healthier than his and I exercise just as much as him, sometimes more, yet I am the one criticised for how I look.

T2 is also a condition where our bodies don't function properly.

That's exactly what happened to me. The only difference was my husband choses Haribo rather than Snickers.

Reactions: ickihun and zand

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Sir Muir believes that the key to good health is standing rather than sitting whenever possible, because sitting too much results in too much inflammation, and ‘inflammation is thought to be the cause of many diseases – type 2 diabetes, dementia, vascular disease – most common problems.’ I think he's wrong, although I don't have a knighthood.
I believe he's wrong too. Overweight people standing too much get varicose vains so the pressure is too much. Also standers need hip replacements sooner. Using bearing joints more.
Everything in moderation is the healthy lifestyle. Everything, including exercise.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That's exactly what happened to me. The only difference was my husband choses Haribo rather than Snickers.
Stress has made all the difference! Hormones messing us up again. :(

red1mot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Only thing is the jury is still out on what actually fully causes type2. So how can it be renamed?
Myself I have other metabolic conditions which hunchback on the diabetes. My metabolic problems started showing at 5-6yr old but I'm type2. Where would I stop renaming my conditions. I'd end up with more initials after my name than stephen hawkins!
I'm sorry hun but I have diabetes. As you.
i am 61 when diagnosed not overweight bmi and bp good very active eat well dont smoke or drink i think articles like this dont do any good really as anyone can get it for no apparent reason not even in the family