1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

article in yesterday's Sunday Express...

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by jonesy, Sep 14, 2009.

1. jonesy

jonesy · Well-Known Member

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I won't either Jonesy.

Over the years, I have read and heard them all! Nothing ever comes of these 'breakthroughs'.
    It gets to the point where I no longer read or listen to them anymore, I have had years of false hopes, and quite frankly, am sick to the back teeth of them all ! :x The media get hold of these stories and blow them out of all proportion!!!!

I know that one day there will be a radical change in diabetes treatment, but I am unsure of a cure. I think at best, we can only hope that technological advances in science will one day bring about improvements in diabetes management. :)

All the best

Nigel

3. jonesy

jonesy · Well-Known Member

hey nigel...

well my son, who is type 1, is only just 9, so i'm hoping that in his lifetime there will be something pretty drastic.

we live in hope!

4. lionrampant

lionrampant · Well-Known Member

They trialled this on more than one kid some time last year, or at least they announced plans to. Still, interesting stuff.

5. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

I really hope so too Jonesy

Nigel

6. Giraffe

Giraffe · Active Member

I am in absolutely no doubt that diabetes can be cured with stem cell treatment.
    And if not stem cells, then through something exactly like this mechanical pancreas.

The main obstacle to curing everyone is money - not the money for the treatment, but the money the drug companies make from diabetes.

The insulin, needles, the meters, lances, strips, tablets, whatever else is used in type 1 and type 2 treatment - it's a goldmine, and it's getting richer every year as more people are diagnosed with both types.

There's no way they would give up this kind of profit.

7. howie

howie · Well-Known Member

this is true giraffe... maybe the pharma companies will spare us T1's as were only 5% of the market. + we got JDRF on our side, though i'm not sure who their sponsors and funders are they do genuinely seem 'dedicated to finding a cure'

howie

8. Patch

Patch Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You're not lying, Giraffe. The amount of money the big companies make from diabetics is unbelievable.

I too have no doubt that a cure/completely effective treatment is not impossible. It's infuriating.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook