Artificial sweeteners

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I just wanted to have some information about artificial sweeteners. Some I can't take as I spike really really high- I'm beginning to work out which ones these are after some really disappointing experiences. Some seem not to spike my blood sugars at all so that it good- however, I know that some of can cause gut issues. I was wondering if there is anyone with links to this type of information. I have become much more sceptical about general information on the internet particularly where it relates to diabetics and very low carb diets- I know I can trust people here.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
I use Stevia powder by Nirvana for any drink I want to sweeten and erythritol for baking or making anything low carb, but not in drinks.

Everything else sweetener wise is problematic for me.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've used liquid stevia, but currently use stevia/erythritol powdered combinations for everything that needs a bit of sweetness. All my research showed they were OK for diabetic use, as neither contain digestible carbs. Both also occur naturally.

I've used both for getting on fr six years and never had any issues with them, apart from occasionally a slightly odd taste with some brands of stevia if I used a bit too much.