As its Christmas...?

Jonlennon

Does anyone find this weird I'm type 1 and the last 3 days I've been eating what I want cake chocolate loads of foods high in carbs, and my sugar levels have been either 5 or 4, yes I am injecting insulin but would expect it to be a lot higher?

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
How are you at getting back on? If you can return to your excellent choices easily then everyone deserves a day off. Many cannot afford a day off so to those sufferers I wouldn't advise it.
You will always know your status better. An adult judgement call. This is.

That's where I appear to be lucky. Keto seems to come on quite readily. Bar the nasty taste and a headache which goes with more water and salt, number 2's change too but that's tmi, overall as for keto flu I don't suffer much.

We had a chip supper when I hit 80kg as a treat. Split a single portion between me and the wife.

Enjoyed the fish but the chips were a take it or leave it surprise as they were a favorite pre dx.

I feel deliberately taking a controlled step off the wagon is OK. Esp as the Christmas temptations are pretty much a once a year thing.

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I see this decision - about eating carby Christmas food - as evidence based. I had one day and one breakfast 'off' for treat food per year and it made no difference to my HBA1c, and no outside-of-those-days effect on my BGs. I did an experiment of extending treat food days, and more of them, and it was an HBA1c and FBG disaster! Took a lot to get my HBA1c back to the mid-40s where it can sit for years. Well - where it sat for years. So I am going back to just the two careful treat-feast events - Christmas day alone, and a once a year carby breakfast.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Its bread for me. Any carbs but bread is better than sleeping pills.

Thanks for the candid replies. I'm currently low carb and only really suffer a nasty taste in my mouth from going into keto, maybe headache if I'm sloppy with water and salt.

I was just thinking of pork pie, mince pie or 2 not dunking myself in sugar. I'm doing all the cooking so everybody will be getting a lower carb Christmas Dinner.
Cheese and port with my dad in the evening will knock a hole in things. Maybe switch in some different crackers but diabetes be dammed I'm not dropping that little tradition in our house.
mince pies are really high carb, (around 35g) its your choice.

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
mince pies are really high carb, (around 35g) its your choice.

Yes true. But seeing as my typical carb intake is around 40g. What I consider a crazy high carb blowout will barely reach some peoples low carb targets.

D

Deleted member 308541

Old saying: Eat your extra xmas carbs in guilty haste, repent in leisure...

Reactions: SueJB

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Yes true. But seeing as my typical carb intake is around 40g. What I consider a crazy high carb blowout will barely reach some peoples low carb targets.
Have been aiming for 100 -120, but temporarily given up counting, just trying to choose low carb options. Feeling a lot less stressed now. The scales will tell if this approach is working.

JAT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone find this weird I'm type 1 and the last 3 days I've been eating what I want cake chocolate loads of foods high in carbs, and my sugar levels have been either 5 or 4, yes I am injecting insulin but would expect it to be a lot higher?
You're injecting the right amount of insulin then. Are you injecting more insulin than usual to cover the extra carbs? I won't eat any more carbs for Xmas than usual as I won't want to up my insulin.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always step off for a week or so at Xmas, Easter, bdays and days when there is a Y in the name. But seriously, I live and cater for a house full of carbophiles, and this Xmas it will be 10 of them to the trad dinner. I keep testing, and I keep my food log as usual, but I do reset the moving averages so I can see how badly it affects me overall during the period, then I reset again and start over with LC diet. In the last few years, my average levels have gone up by a couple of mmol.l but nothing too drastic. I am not keto so I am not too strict on myself anyway, but I find it is not a disaster in my case, I am lucky to have some resonable functionality in my endocrine system and my IR seems to be improved since doing LC diets.

I will be employing LC principles into the menu so everybody will suffer rabbit food to a certain extent, but we now have a favourites list of LC foods that ALL of us enjoy so it is not so painful. Even my dr, enjoys celeriac mash etc, and she is a picky eater.

Reactions: AloeSvea

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
I always step off for a week or so at Xmas, Easter, bdays and days when there is a Y in the name. But seriously, I live and cater for a house full of carbophiles, and this Xmas it will be 10 of them to the trad dinner. I keep testing, and I keep my food log as usual, but I do reset the moving averages so I can see how badly it affects me overall during the period, then I reset again and start over with LC diet. In the last few years, my average levels have gone up by a couple of mmol.l but nothing too drastic. I am not keto so I am not too strict on myself anyway, but I find it is not a disaster in my case, I am lucky to have some resonable functionality in my endocrine system and my IR seems to be improved since doing LC diets.

I will be employing LC principles into the menu so everybody will suffer rabbit food to a certain extent, but we now have a favourites list of LC foods that ALL of us enjoy so it is not so painful. Even my dr, enjoys celeriac mash etc, and she is a picky eater.

Yes I'm cooking so my lot will all be eating lc to a degree, I'm intending on keeping some cauliflower mash for me and letting everybody else eat the spuds (my Dad (and my mum to a lesser degree),still doesent understand how LCHF can work and thinks its all wrong, being firmly in the weight watchers carb camp which has caused a lot of friction which I want to avoid over Christmas) and there will be a big pile of sprouts roasted in garlic and olive oil so the meal is fine

The biggest thing for me is that I react to the actual bg/insulin changes more than the overall bg being the issue. Think that's why keto suits me but I do want to have a few Xmas treats and falling asleep in the chair on Xmas day is hardly a crime.

Since keto anything over maybe 60-70g I feel wired like I have drunk a gallon of caffeine, once the whizzy feeling passes I need to sleep, maybe an hour later. Its not a feel sleepy thing either I will fall asleep. Alcohol does the same, even one drink and the journey to snoozville is on.

Used to happen all the time before DX after spuds or pasta ect. Hasn't happened since DX except the couple of times I tested the theory.

Last edited:

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Spl, enjoy your mince pie, you say it's a little tradition, well carry on with it, little traditions are important. Anyone would think you had decided to throw an entire Xmas cake down your neck. You seem very conscious of what you eat every other day so I doubt this will set you on that rocky road to ruin. Happy Xmas. x

Reactions: Spl@

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You've only been diagnosed for a short while, haven't you? Search for honeymoon period in the search bar on this forum. It's probably your pancreas spluttering out some insulin.

DeejayR

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Happy Christmas and a peaceful new year to everyone on the forum, and once again my thanks for setting me on the path to remission. I don't sign in much these days because whenever I think of anything to say, someone else always says it better.
Tomorrow Mrs DeeJay & I are having a pub Xmas turkey dinner. I have chosen a safe starter and asked for cheese (not on the menu) and coffee for afters, but the main course will have all the trimmings, whatever they dish up.
At home I'm still strict about what I cook, while Mrs D is well stocked with Xmas pud, mince pies and half the world's chocolate supply. I have the ingredients for safe chocolate brownies if need be, but really a good mug cake is quicker and nicer in my opinion. And thank heavens for keto rolls, despite the expense.
Thank you again, be kind to yourselves and don't forget to breathe.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@DeejayR I was only thinking of you the other day and wondering where you had disappeared to. Lovely to see you are doing well. Do keep popping in. Have a lovely Christmas and a healthy 2019. :)

AloeSvea

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Merry Christmas to you all. Summer Solstice celebration where I am. Sun is out. Palm trees blowing in a gentle breeze, etc etc. Off to prepare my vegetarian daughter's Xmas lasagna, and for the rest of us a very LCHF roast once 'happy' turkey.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Merry Christmas to you all. Summer Solstice celebration where I am. Sun is out. Palm trees blowing in a gentle breeze, etc etc. Off to prepare my vegetarian daughter's Xmas lasagna, and for the rest of us a very LCHF roast once 'happy' turkey.
We have just had our Winter Solstice here. Happy Summer Solstice to you. and a very Happy Christmas and New Year

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
OK so it wasn't one of my wisest decisions, but I did step off the wagon as I declared earlier. Sugar levels after the main XMAS meal were not too bad, all under 9 mmol/l and dropping back to around 6 mmol/l after 4 hrs. But we did not have the pudding till 12 pm. Yup full frontal plum duff, brandy butter, double cream - The Full Monty. Also irish creams and other alcohol.

Not sure which of these latter was the culprit, but I woke for my normal nightly micturation, and had slight heartburn. Surprise Surprise??? Nope. Took a couple of antacids and tried to sleep but then I developed a rattle in the throat and wheezing in the chest, with a faster but regular heart rate. No pain anywhere but tightish feeling in the throat. Found that when I sat up or stood the noises went away completely but any prone position caused the rattling to start again.

Considered 111 or 999 but have had this before after alcohol and gaviscon, so I concluded that I had got it again, Now it may be heartburn, or acide reflux, and not heart or chest related It soon went away and I slept again. But another point to consider is that no rattling or wheezing or tight throat occurred before I took the Gaviscon, I think I may have a allergy to this OTC med that upsets my throat. The noises I noted were not from the chest, and was not cleared by coughing, and seemed to be throaty in nature, so I may have had a slight anaphylactic response.

Whatever, I survived the night, and felt fine this morning. No further episodes to report and eating and drinking fine with no discomfort. Panic is over.

This year we had 10 carbies to dinner, so my LC plans got short circuited a little, Celeriac mash and cauli mash got ditched since we ran out of hob space so I ate standard fare too. Next year I will try to be more insistent, and cook them up the day or week before and freeze them in advance, I did not dare to check on the XMAS pudding episode, and assume it was wild and wooly, Will climb back onto the wagon later on today when our guests have departed. Just been offered cheese straws that I cannot refuse so catch you all later. Will report back when I am in control again.

2Edit to add data from drugs.com on gaviscon
"Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat." So it makes sense....

Last edited:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My xmas haul is 4, yes 4!!! Boxes of fab chocolates. All high cocoa content and ‘posh’ brands.
This is a triumph!
It has taken years to get the message across, but am v v v grateful.
So I am now set up for 1 (maybe 2) a meal, for the next few weeks. Xmas will last til at least February, and I will enjoy every decadent morsel.

The rest of my eating is exceedingly low carb, so a single choc will have minimal bg impact at the end of a fat/protein meal.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Well, yesterday I had 1 small roast potato, 3 roasted Celeriac, in portions, small portion carrot and Turnip mash with lots of butter in, sprouts,2 pigs in blanket, Turkey, 1Yorkshire pud, I made stuffing for me from one slice of low carb bread (8 carbs) Onion, and salt and Sage. Made my gravy and thickened it with xanthan gum. We did not have a Buffet as we were full up. So that is all I had. Today I am doing myself a Turkey Stew with veg and Celeriac. My Son and hubby will have a small buffet. So really I did not do to bad. Strange, even though I only had a very small roast potato I left half, as the texture did not feel right after not eating them for nearly 2 years. Christmas eve I had one mini mince pie..Boy was it tiny lol.I even put cream on it, then ate Cheese straight after to stop a rise lol. My son said "Mum is it worth the cream laughing" I said " **** right as it will help stop a rise along with cheese" I think we are all now getting very crafty with food. I food pair now, and it seems to work. I read to overcook veg will make the calorie more and carb slightly higher. I also read that to cook rice with added coconut oil as this blocks some of the carbs, let it go cold, then reheat the next day, this should help with Blood Sugar. One day I may try a small portion and see what happens. I hope that you all had a lovely Christmas day x

Reactions: Oldvatr

Spl@

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Humans that only take.
Survived the festive period without going too far off the wagon.
Alcohol was the primary culprit and the associated munchies. Sufferd from the inevitable heartburn and becoming a human pee machine for 24hrs.
Highest number I saw was a 9.8. After 2 mince pies and some...... OK, a tube of pringles.
Numbers were still high boxing day with a morning bg of 7.1.