1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Ashwagandha for Diabetic Amyotrophy

Discussion in 'Other Health Conditions and Diabetes' started by Angj, Apr 8, 2020.

1. Angj

Angj · Newbie

Has anyone had any success with this? My partner suffers from excruciating pain in his thigh and calf during the night, along with peripheral neuropathy. He’s tried Amitriptyline and Gabapentin without success. Wondering what else to try!

2. xfieldok

xfieldok Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I googled it. It appears to be very high carb. What type of diabetes does he have and what sort of control does he have?

3. Angj

Angj · Newbie

Type 2. Was diagnosed in August last year and then with a LCHF diet Hba1c was down to 45 in Feb. If high carb I don’t think it’s the way forward then. Funnily enough it was recommended on a low carb forum

4. HolisticView

HolisticView · Newbie

I've taken ashwagandha and depending on what you're looking to achieve - more energy, better sleep, rejuvenating the body - it can certainly move you in that direction. Herbal medicines are fabulous and can be highly effective but I believe it's important to be well informed if using them to try and uproot a particular condition otherwise we might accidentally be leading ourselves further out of balance.
    As for whether it can help with a specific issue like this I just wouldn't be able to say but as it's predominantly used in Ayurvedic medicine the best suggestion I could give would be to seek out and in invest in having a consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor. They will also be able to examine and treat any underlying causes for the issue to help tackle it at the root. I've benefited greatly from the wisdom of Ayurveda in the past couple of years and can't begin to recommend it highly enough.
    If it is prescribed then I really wouldn't worry too much if it's high carb/low carb/no carb as it would be taken temporarily in a small amount and would be working to heal you from within, not just masking symptoms.

Wishing you all the best on your journey. If you have any questions about what I've written then please don't hesitate to ask.

5. bulkbiker

bulkbiker Type 2 · Oracle

Are they taking statins?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook