Ashwagandha for Diabetic Amyotrophy

Angj

Has anyone had any success with this? My partner suffers from excruciating pain in his thigh and calf during the night, along with peripheral neuropathy. He’s tried Amitriptyline and Gabapentin without success. Wondering what else to try!

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I googled it. It appears to be very high carb. What type of diabetes does he have and what sort of control does he have?

Angj

Type 2. Was diagnosed in August last year and then with a LCHF diet Hba1c was down to 45 in Feb. If high carb I don’t think it’s the way forward then. Funnily enough it was recommended on a low carb forum

HolisticView

I've taken ashwagandha and depending on what you're looking to achieve - more energy, better sleep, rejuvenating the body - it can certainly move you in that direction. Herbal medicines are fabulous and can be highly effective but I believe it's important to be well informed if using them to try and uproot a particular condition otherwise we might accidentally be leading ourselves further out of balance.
As for whether it can help with a specific issue like this I just wouldn't be able to say but as it's predominantly used in Ayurvedic medicine the best suggestion I could give would be to seek out and in invest in having a consultation with an Ayurvedic doctor. They will also be able to examine and treat any underlying causes for the issue to help tackle it at the root. I've benefited greatly from the wisdom of Ayurveda in the past couple of years and can't begin to recommend it highly enough.
If it is prescribed then I really wouldn't worry too much if it's high carb/low carb/no carb as it would be taken temporarily in a small amount and would be working to heal you from within, not just masking symptoms.

Wishing you all the best on your journey. If you have any questions about what I've written then please don't hesitate to ask.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Has anyone had any success with this? My partner suffers from excruciating pain in his thigh and calf during the night, along with peripheral neuropathy. He’s tried Amitriptyline and Gabapentin without success. Wondering what else to try!
Are they taking statins?

mmmkulkarni86

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Diet only
I experience symptoms of diabetic amyotrophy whenever I consume sugary foods containing added sugar, such as ice cream, biscuits, chocolate, or other sweets. Firstly, I feel a heaviness in my stomach and my heart starts palpitating. The following day, my left buttock (and thigh) become extremely tight, almost like a rock. This leads to the entrapment of my lower buttock nerve, specifically the pudendal and/or sciatica nerve, resulting in difficulty getting out of bed and standing up. The pain becomes unbearable. The only effective pain relief for me is diclofenac 75 mg, specifically two doses of 75 mg each. Interestingly, diclofenac 50 mg does not work for me. After taking these painkillers for two consecutive days, I return to a normal state.

I have come to realize that the main culprit for my diabetic amyotrophy is solely the added white sugar. When I consume sweet fruits, jaggery, or any other natural sugars, I experience no issues whatsoever. Therefore, I recommend and am also interested in knowing your experiences. Have you noticed any improvements by avoiding added sugar? In my case, eliminating added sugar means no pain and no diabetic amyotrophy. I hope this information proves helpful, and I am curious to hear about your own experiences as well.