Asking around for opinions and advice

Rox000

Hi
My 19yr old daughter autism non verbal has newly commenced on a basal bolus regime for the last week. Lantus/novorapid.
Ok so i.totally understand that i need to be patient and tinker with dosing which is what is happening with both insulins ..but can anyone tell me...
Ive read and heard on here that lantus needs to be monitored for a couple of days before any adjustments can be made. Again my diabetic nurse has advised me to increase lantus each day for the last 3/4days. This weekends advice is if tomorrow she wakes under7mmols stay on 16u ...if higher than 7mmols increase to 18.
Right...so the rule has not been applied.
I treated my daughter to a takeout meal this evening because she deserved it...and the diabetic educator assisted me to calculate bolus dose for her ..6units...gave it 2hrs post dinner 8.1mmols she was 13.4mmols before dinner.
Sooooo...is this lantus waking up finally for her??
I dont know grasping at straws i think...any enlightening lantus info would be great....

Jeremy_Wood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Rox000 sounds like you're a little confused, and rightly so!

From what you've said I think the DSN is playing it safe - much better to slowly increase the dose of Lantus (and run a little high) than to go straight in at a high dose and run the risk of hypo.

Long-acting insulins (Lantus, Tresiba etc.) can take a little while to 'settle in' to the body. I have just changed from Lantus to Tresiba and found it took about three or four days to feel like the Tresiba was doing its job properly.

If you're in any doubt just contact your DSN - take their advice and bear in mind they will always err on the side of caution, so your daughter will be safe, even if it's a bit of a pain.

Just one question - you said you gave the insulin 2hrs after dinner. Was this the Lantus (if it was the NovoRapid make sure you are giving it before she eats!)? If so, the drop from 13.4 to 8.1 was more likely the result of the NovoRapid kicking in (high fat foods can cause a delay in the insulin beginning to work)

J

Rox000

thanks J ...no not confused just frustrated more like it...**** hard watching your daughter zone out when her sugars are in the 20s for a while ...a pretty helpless feeling...

Rox000

as for the novorapid i give it straight before she eats...before meals...
That drop was after a high fat meal with no noticable spikes in her sugars...i test her regularly as she is non verbal..
Thankyou for taking the time to reply .
orders from diabetic nurse is to increase 2 units again in the morning if her bsls are higher than 10mmols...
Watch wait and see...hoping for some change soon...

Reactions: Jeremy_Wood