Aspartame - just for information.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This study cannot and does not draw a proper conclusion. It uses inference to scare us rather than actually demonstrate a link. The risk of CVE for the highest consumption group was reported as 8.5%, but the zero consumption group (control group?) was 7.2%. This difference over a long period in an uncontrolled unbound sample group does not IMO constitute a statistical significance.

The article then goes on to mention a different study report that another trial showed traces of methanol in the sample group, again this is more scaremongering. There are a couple of other scare statements thrown in for good measure. The article shows huge bias that is not backed up and I would not myself use this website as a reliable source of information.

Although I myself have dropped aspartame based product where I can, and have switched to sucralose products as my sweetner of choice, I accept that there may be a causative effect from the product, and would not be surprised if this is someday shown to be true, I reject this particular article as 'proof' or even 'informative'.

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't need a study to prove or disprove aspartame's effects on me - headaches, sleeplessness and generally feeling awful.

I now avoid it like the plague.

Reactions: 2 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't need a study to prove or disprove aspartame's effects on me - headaches, sleeplessness and generally feeling awful.

I now avoid it like the plague.
I think society as a whole needs to know that this very, very common and often hidden additive to its foodchain is safe. It is not just diet drinks that contain it, a load of chocolate products contain it, and even processed meals. As a diabetic, I cut down on sugar laden produce, and so have to consider the 'reduced sugar' alternatives.

Aspartame is a source of phenylalanine, all food products containing aspartame are clearly labelled to indicate the presence of phenylalanine so that those people who suffer from PKU can avoid consuming these products. This labelling is a legal requirement - See more at: https://www.food.gov.uk/science/additives/aspartame#sthash.04jvr2vE.dpuf

Note/ The legal requirement applies to goods manufactured in UK, It does not need to apply to imported products. It is also possible to use the official designation E951 when listing contents. People diagnosed as having PKU will already know to check food labels thoroughly, but pre-PKU people will not be aware of this.

OOOPS!!! Just checked my current sweetner tabs. Per 100g, Carb 86g of which sugars 66g. Now sucralose is not supposed to be metabolised by our bodies, but the packaging just calls them sugar. I have viewed 3 keto diet sites, and they all support sucralose, but warn against using the powdered form. I use tiny tabs, so this is probably not a major issue for me, but they are not sweeties to binge out on.

Reactions: 4 people

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sorry butt in but have reply on here aspartame is a brain killer I use cologran from liddle it has carb0.1 per tablet and I have sweet tooth
it contain no nasty chemicals we tour Norway and aspartame is banned there thanks revive@2
Sorry, but it appears that Cologran is banned by the FDA in US. It is a bi-mix of saccharin and calcium cyclamate, both of which the FDA had individually banned from foodstuffs. Was also banned in the UK at one time, but this was overruled by the EU after lobbying by the German supplier of artificial sweetners.

The ban on saccarin in US has recently been lifted, but products containing it MUST carry a severe hazard to health warning. the ban on Cologran remains in place in USA.

The substance Calcium Cyclamate is listed in the Hazmat regulations, and requires special handling precautions.

MikePea

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Garlic
Try Stevia. A natural plant. Sold by this very organisation. Now would they sell anthing if it was not safe ?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try Stevia. A natural plant. Sold by this very organisation. Now would they sell anthing if it was not safe ?
Yes it is available, but be careful. There are processed forms i.e. powder and tabs, that are often a hybrid with another sweetner. An example is Truvia which is blended with erythritol (a sugar alcohol like xylitol) and “natural flavors.”

Stevia is a plant you can grow, dry the leaves , grind to powder yourself, which is the true natural variant. Most commercially available Stevia is extracted and added with bulking agents. Personally none of my family could abide Stevia, so we did not try it for long.

EDIT: according to a couple of lawsuits taken out against Cargill and Coca Cola,, the makers of Truvia, the claim it was a natural sweetner was challenged since the active ingredient taken from the stevia plant is the inactive one, and so has no health benefits. All 3 ingredients in Truvia are classed as artificial and highly refined. However, it was established that Truvia is safe for use and ok for diabetics.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
well sugar beet was good and fill nearly all fields near were I live /.then rape took over now no one can breath they put in every thing and gives cancer
Are we talking Canola oil, which is manufactured from Rapeseed oil?
EDIT: I used to live near Peterborough, and the smell of the sugarbeet made breathing difficult, so it was not a fond memory of mine.

At least Rape looks pretty in the spring, and it allows farmers to have 2 crops a year even if they use the rape as a nitrogen source and just plough it in as fertilizer. Canada Oil (Canola) is a more worrying use of the plant. I think a lot of it now is used for alternative fuels rather than foodstuff, but I could be wrong on this. The use of GMO crops is unavoidable nowadays.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Collective Evolution is a mad-house, it's full of crazy anti-science types and when they occasionally try to justify something by mentioning science, they're usually just Cherry-picking the one study out of 10,000 that supports their case. They do the same with their anti-vaccine stance, their 'cannabis cures everything', their constant use of 'Quantum' to attach to any kind of magic cure and anti-GMO, anti-science in general stances.

Aspartame is said to be the safest substance known to science because of the huge body of work trying to find something wrong with it and only a tiny proportion of studies finding a problem - almost all of which either can't be repeated or were of poor quality. Except of course for those people who suffer from phenylketonuria, which thankfully is a rare disease and you'd certainly know about it if you had it.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Aspartame

chri5

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspartame is certainly one of, if not the, most intensively researched food substances ever and it doesn`t seem to raise a comparable amount of red flags. Maybe, like so many other things, it affects some but not others, i have not noticed any problems with it personally.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Aspartame is certainly one of, if not the, most intensively researched food substances ever and it doesn`t seem to raise a comparable amount of red flags. Maybe, like so many other things, it affects some but not others, i have not noticed any problems with it personally.
It has undergone at least one RCT double blind trial which found that there was no increase in reported symptoms or side effects compared to the control group. There was no statistical evidence that aspartame was giving any more bad effects compared to a placebo.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

TorqPenderloin

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok so how do you get a risk increase of 102% as shown in the study? And this is just from one diet coke a day? Sorry, this smacks of scare mongering.

Don't waste your time. That website also had other "Articles" such as "Any type of cancer can be cured in just 2-6 weeks."

In fact, calling it an "Article" is insulting to journalism as a whole. "Hippie blog" would be more appropriate.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't waste your time. That website also had other "Articles" such as "Any type of cancer can be cured in just 2-6 weeks."

In fact, calling it an "Article" is insulting to journalism as a whole. "Hippie blog" would be more appropriate.
As an ex hippie, I resent that labelling. I accept Blog

Dark Horse

Just noticed that this article suggests aspartame intake may be linked to increased cases of leukemia, multiple myeloma and non-Hodgkin lymphomas:
http://healthycures.org/aspartame-is-linked-to-leukemia-and-lymphoma-in-new-landmark-study-on-humans
Note the conclusion from the first research paper cited in the article: "Although our findings preserve the possibility of a detrimental effect of a constituent of diet soda, such as aspartame, on select cancers, the inconsistent sex effects and occurrence of an apparent cancer risk in individuals who consume regular soda do not permit the ruling out of chance as an explanation."

D

debrasue

LOVED reading this lively debate!
(I don't really have anything to add, other than the fact that I can't tolerate aspartame and I use Triple-Zero Stevia.)
:)

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)