1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Aspirin !

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by gooner10, Oct 22, 2021.

1. Geordie_P

Geordie_P Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The doctor took me of aspirin after a while: I was also taking clopidogrel and (If I remember correctly) ticagrelor. Right now I'm still on clopidogrel

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. lovinglife

lovinglife Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I’ve never been given it for T2, my late dad who was diagnosed with T2 in the early 90s was prescribed it as routine for T2s but was taken off it a few years later by GP who said they were taking everyone off daily aspirin as a new protocol, the only patients to remain on it were people who had already had a stroke or heart attack- for anyone else it was pointless and even dangerous.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. gooner10

gooner10 · Well-Known Member

That is very interesting as I had no other heath conditions when I was diagnosed in 2008, and even though I was on it plus a statin up until 2015 when I developed angina, both meds seemed pretty pointless to prevent clogged arteries up to then !!

4. Fenn

Fenn Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Never mentioned I should take it for diabetes, perhaps it should have been as I’ve had/have heart problems now, taking it for that. I’ve given up fighting against meds, I’m defeated, I just take whatever they give me now lol

• Hug Hug x 4
  5. LittleGreyCat

LittleGreyCat Type 2 · Well-Known Member

No.
    I've never seen the need as my weight is normal and my blood pressure is normal.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was not prescribed Aspirin when first diagnosed T2, as I was already taking my alter ego Xaralto which is a anti coagulant.

7. Tannith

Tannith · BANNED

I have never heard of aspirin for stomach cancer. How long have you had stomach cancer? Do you think the aspirin made it worse, or just made it bleed? My son had stomach cancer. He took NSAIDS for a longish period for pain relief from injuries following a road accident. But never daily as a prophylactic.

8. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@Struma exolained here that he was taken off Aspirin after a large bleed.
    Much the same as me, I stopped taking Xaralto because I have bowel cancer that's bleeding from a large polyp.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook