1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1 Assessment meeting for Libre sensor

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by steveo4, Jul 5, 2019.

1. steveo4

steveo4 · Well-Known Member

Has any one had an assessment meeting with their hospital so they can get the sensors on prescription? I've got mine this week not sure what to expect.

2. hegelegan

hegelegan · Member

Hi don't really know how old this thread is?? But we (as in my 7 year old daughter) used the freestyle libre sensor and we have been using for over a year now! We had to get prescription from the nurse at first, then it was reviewed after 3 months then was added to her repeat prescriptions! We really rely on it now and still used it too! It's made life so much easier and her fingers aren't as sore from all the finger pricking! A big thumbs up!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. h884

h884 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi Steve

From my experience I had to attend a group education session. We were given basic
    information on how to use the system. Prior to this we had to complete Bertie online
    and the Libre Academy modules and be signed of as competent in carb counting.
    At the session we were given a sensor and reader, thereafter my sensors are on my
    repeat prescription form. There is a contract that you had to sign saying you would for
    example agree to download data into Diasend every 8 weeeks. I download data
    when I change the sensor. To offset costs of the libre you also had to agree to use a
    particular meter

Hope this is off some help.

4. steveo4

steveo4 · Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your comments.

5. nicky-52

nicky-52 Type 1 · Member

I’ve attended all T1 education days, clinic recommended Freestyle Libre system and I’ve been using it since it’s concept. I have just been informed I’ve been rejected for this ‘wave’ of NHS prescriptions. Feeling very disappointed and have been told to ring the clinic again around Christmas! Other areas seem to have more success than North Somerset. It’s just a lottery

• Hug Hug x 1
  6. forestony

forestony Type 1 · Newbie

I've been self funding for 2 years and have been told today the only way to get it on the NHS is to stop using it for 3 months !!
    This thing stopped me giving it all up a couple of years ago when after 35 years of fighting Diabeties it was all getting too much and the Libre put me back in charge. The NHS need to wake up and give it to everyone with Type 1.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Dave Wilde

Dave Wilde · Member

Every type 1 in Wales gets this system. I got diagnosed six weeks ago and I’ve had the Libre system for a month

8. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

I told my consultant I'd like to try libre, he wrote a letter to my GP asking if she'd prescribe it. I mentioned this to her on a visit about something else, she put me down for an appointment with the nurse. The nurse stuck a sensor in my arm, checked I knew the basics (arrows and graphs), and that was that.

No contract, no training course on diabetes/carb counting, no competition, about half an hour training on the libre. Pretty much I asked and was given. I feel like I should apologize for not having to jump through all the hoops and obstacles you all are recounting.

9. Seacrow

Seacrow LADA · Well-Known Member

Uh nope. I have a couple of T1 Welsh friends who are not allowed the libre, ironically because their control is too good. They have been told that since their HbA1cs are well within limits there is no 'clinical need' for cgm.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook