At Home A1C Tests

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! Has anybody used an at home a1c kit? If so, which brand did you use and how accurate was it compared to a blood test a1c? Thanks for any help! :)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello! Has anybody used an at home a1c kit? If so, which brand did you use and how accurate was it compared to a blood test a1c? Thanks for any help! :)

I have. I've only used the Bayer A1c Now+ test, and I found them to be within 0.1% of my lab blood tests.

They're not cheap, but they have their place.

If you are thinking of buying some, then do look at multi packs, because every pack includes a reader, which must be from the same batch as the test cassettes themselves. That makes single tests far more expensive (per test), than say, a 5 pack.

No blood comes into contact with the the reader, and it doesn't store any data/results, so it is perfectly viable to share a multi pack of tests with a friend, although it does mean giving/sending the reader to the person about to do their test, and the other couldn't do another until they had it back, if that makes sense. I couldn't get through my last multi pack before I was going overseas for a few months and wasn't taking it with me, so I sent it to a friend.

My comment on costs relate to UK, but I imagine the US may be similar. The tests distributed in UK are supplied from the US, so you may find them cheaper than we can find them.

Good luck with it.

LindsayOz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks! I have actually already bought one and used it on my toddler son. It was from Walgreens and came with two. The first one had an error, but the second read 5.8. I am hoping it is off and was higher. He's getting blood work tomorrow morning.

Reactions: AndBreathe