At last, a voice of sanity from a government.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
From what I understood, the recommendations from this committee don't go much beyond what the UK already has in place, or due soon - a tax on sugary drinks, food labelling, and encouraging physical activity. They do talk about studies that show that consumption of carbohydrate contribute to obesity and related diseases, and suggest that the Government investigates this, which I suppose is a step in the right direction. But only if it leads to actual action on encouraging a reduction in carbohydrate intake.

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
To be honest, haven't had time to read the whole thing, but according to a Facebook post on the page of Caryn Zinn Dietician, it goes much further than that. Will get round to reading the whole report in the next few days and report back. Caryn Zinn seems to be saying it is quite groundbreaking, a turning point.

Reactions: 2 people

SunnyExpat

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Read it, it looks like they're just playing catch up to the UK

Cat0409_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
An interesting read..... Basically saying eat real food.
I found it interesting that they wanted no reps from agriculture and food industries on panels to determine what a food table should look like.
Maybe to many it didn't go far enough but it is a major step forward in many ways

Reactions: 2 people

AtkinsMo

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried to copy and paste Zinn's summary but Facebook wouldn't let me do it. It says that the demonisation of natural fats and building every meal around carbohydrates has been a fundamental error and needs to be reversed, apparently. I look forward to reading it in its entirety.