1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

At last, a voice of sanity from a government.

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by AtkinsMo, Mar 20, 2016.

1. AtkinsMo

AtkinsMo Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Prem51

Prem51 Type 2 · Expert

From what I understood, the recommendations from this committee don't go much beyond what the UK already has in place, or due soon - a tax on sugary drinks, food labelling, and encouraging physical activity. They do talk about studies that show that consumption of carbohydrate contribute to obesity and related diseases, and suggest that the Government investigates this, which I suppose is a step in the right direction. But only if it leads to actual action on encouraging a reduction in carbohydrate intake.

3. AtkinsMo

To be honest, haven't had time to read the whole thing, but according to a Facebook post on the page of Caryn Zinn Dietician, it goes much further than that. Will get round to reading the whole report in the next few days and report back. Caryn Zinn seems to be saying it is quite groundbreaking, a turning point.

• Like Like x 2
  4. SunnyExpat

SunnyExpat Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Read it, it looks like they're just playing catch up to the UK

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. msmi1970

msmi1970 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

6. Cat0409_

Cat0409_ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

An interesting read..... Basically saying eat real food.
    I found it interesting that they wanted no reps from agriculture and food industries on panels to determine what a food table should look like.
    Maybe to many it didn't go far enough but it is a major step forward in many ways

• Like Like x 2
  7. AtkinsMo

I tried to copy and paste Zinn's summary but Facebook wouldn't let me do it. It says that the demonisation of natural fats and building every meal around carbohydrates has been a fundamental error and needs to be reversed, apparently. I look forward to reading it in its entirety.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook