Atkins Shakes - opinions please

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else tried the Atkins pre-made shakes? I've had the strawberry one and it's rather nice and doesn't seems to effect my blood sugar at all (on testing after 1.5 hours, however, might it be the cause of my increased fasting level over the last couple of days ( I have only drunk the shake at lunchtime.)

I'm looking for a good lowcarb breakfast option for when I'm 'one the go' - I haven't been eating breakfast, but might need to start when I go back to work again after the summer break.

and yes I know they're probably full of **** and I should only be eating things that voluntarily throw themselves off tree - but hey, I live in the real world !

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I live in the real world too :D and sometimes it is unbelievably helpful to find something pre-prepared that hits the spot.

Consequently, over time I have built up a kind of short list of emergency Go Tos which are convenient and don't do bad things to my blood glucose - and Atkins shakes are on there. Although I would prefer not to drink the additives, and I find their sweetness a bit cloying, so I would only pick them occasionally rather than regularly.

(in case you are wondering, my other emergency Go Tos include Kind Nut Bars, peanut 9Bars, good quality hot choc made with cream, jerky and the Atkins shakes, although I haven't actually bought a shake in a couple of years)

Reactions: charliebarker

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I haven't been eating breakfast, but might need to start when I go back to work again after the summer break.
Why do you think you might "need" to have breakfast?
I haven't since diagnosis and don't miss it at all..

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados
Not tried the Atkins shakes, but check out a site called myprotien, they have a huge range of protien based shakes using various protien sources. I used to use the wieght loss coffee one and add an extra spoon of instant coffee or 2 to the suggested measure, mixes nice with water, tastes nice and only trace carb content.

Reactions: Prem51

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes, I live in the real world too :D and sometimes it is unbelievably helpful to find something pre-prepared that hits the spot.

Consequently, over time I have built up a kind of short list of emergency Go Tos which are convenient and don't do bad things to my blood glucose - and Atkins shakes are on there. Although I would prefer not to drink the additives, and I find their sweetness a bit cloying, so I would only pick them occasionally rather than regularly.

(in case you are wondering, my other emergency Go Tos include Kind Nut Bars, peanut 9Bars, good quality hot choc made with cream, jerky and the Atkins shakes, although I haven't actually bought a shake in a couple of years)

Kind Nut bars and peanut 9 Bars too sugary for my blood I'm afraid - although they sound yummy !!!

Reactions: Pura Vida
B

badcat

I dont generally like shakes as I find them rather claggy and oversweet.
I did try whey protein shakes for a while which were better taste / texture wise but stopped using them when I read some stuff about high protein diets being very questionable for diabetics because of the increased risk of kidney problems assosciated with both diabetes and high protein intake

Reactions: Prem51

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Kind Nut bars and peanut 9 Bars too sugary for my blood I'm afraid - although they sound yummy !!!

They are worth trying, and testing. Because of the high nut and seed content most people find they have minimal blood glucose impact - so long as you buy the non fruity and non yoghurty, and non chocolatey varieties, of course.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A tin of fish is an easy option, so it a packet of cold meat, or some olives and nuts.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Anyone else tried the Atkins pre-made shakes? I've had the strawberry one and it's rather nice and doesn't seems to effect my blood sugar at all (on testing after 1.5 hours, however, might it be the cause of my increased fasting level over the last couple of days ( I have only drunk the shake at lunchtime.)

I'm looking for a good lowcarb breakfast option for when I'm 'one the go' - I haven't been eating breakfast, but might need to start when I go back to work again after the summer break.

and yes I know they're probably full of **** and I should only be eating things that voluntarily throw themselves off tree - but hey, I live in the real world !
@charliebarker i always have breakfast before going to work as well and usually have full fat Greek yoghurt with either raspberries or blueberries and a tablespoon of flax seed. It's quick and easy to prepare, doesn't spike me and is also very tasty!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I at times have a lidl protein roll with a slice of ham and cheese cook it in microwave for thirty seconds or so and it's ready to eat.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I've tried the Atkins shakes too, and they're not too bad for a quick solution. Like others said, I find them a bit sweet, but there's a coffee or latte flavoured one that doesn't offend my tastebuds too much.
I bought myself a breville active blend a few months ago, and do try to make my own smoothies and shakes where possible.
I can't go to work without breakfast either - I've tried, and it's not something I can do. I spend too much time thinking about food, and not enough time concentrating on work.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@charliebarker i always have breakfast before going to work as well and usually have full fat Greek yoghurt with either raspberries or blueberries and a tablespoon of flax seed. It's quick and easy to prepare, doesn't spike me and is also very tasty!
Yeah, I used to have that, but couldn't take fruit in the morning, the yogurt on it's own might be OK.

charliebarker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I at times have a lidl protein roll with a slice of ham and cheese cook it in microwave for thirty seconds or so and it's ready to eat.

Yes - going to investigate the lidl rolls ! I am usually fine without breakfast, but starting a new job soon that will require concentration and brain work, and was thinking about maybe giving breakfast another chance !

Reactions: abdullah@rasheed

letstalk1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have had many a Atkins shake and some in my fridge now , they do bloat me out some so a couple a month here.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This morning at 5 am 4.30 minutes later I've last night's chips,noodles,&kebab mix with green juice and I will check my blood sugar at 11 am what do you guess my blood sugar will be ? Let's see in 4 hours

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had French toast and samosa to my fill and not taken my medication my sugar levels after testing is 5.9! What does this mean?

TazziT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Advacados