Attacked by my pump last night

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Around midnight I was woken by my CGM telling me I was a bit high (around 8) so I got out my pump to give a bolus. Unfortunately, in my confused half asleep state, I somehow got myself tangled in the bedsheets. My pump tubing got caught, which resulted in the pump itself flying towards my face and smacking me in the jaw! A very effective way to wake me up and make sure I remember to bolus, but next time I think I'd just prefer the alarm!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Nooooooo @phdiabetic ! Hope all's well!

Reading your thread title I had visions of your pump with stick-on googly eyes and a tiny Stetson, swinging its hosepipe like a lasso......! And when I read your post - well, not much different to what I'd imagined! ;)

Hope you've managed to wrestle the pesky varmint into submission. And hope your jaw isn't too bruised.

:)

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nooooooo @phdiabetic ! Hope all's well!

Reading your thread title I had visions of your pump with stick-on googly eyes and a tiny Stetson, swinging its hosepipe like a lasso......! And when I read your post - well, not much different to what I'd imagined! ;)

Hope you've managed to wrestle the pesky varmint into submission. And hope your jaw isn't too bruised.

:)

Lol, imagining my pump with googly eyes :)

I seem to be alive and well today so obviously my pump has stopped rebelling, and is sitting quietly in my pocket thinking about what it had done :)

What's more, this almost happened to me once before - luckily that time I dodged it before the pump bashed my brains out - but I really should have been more prepared for this to happen seeing that Pumpy has already made one attempt on my life. Or maybe I should just put less blankets on the bed, they seem to be a health and safety hazard.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'll stick to MDL. A pump sounds far too dangerous! Especially with the amount of know-it-all dogs and cats I share my bed with and who undoubtedly would have their own opinions about where the pump should be and what's to be done with the tubing. I already had the experience of one of the cats prying off my libre sensor when I slept (ouch), and that was enough not to want other toys in my bed.
Have a word with your pump and blankets before bed tonight, it might help!

phdiabetic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think I'll stick to MDL. A pump sounds far too dangerous! Especially with the amount of know-it-all dogs and cats I share my bed with and who undoubtedly would have their own opinions about where the pump should be and what's to be done with the tubing. I already had the experience of one of the cats prying off my libre sensor when I slept (ouch), and that was enough not to want other toys in my bed.
Have a word with your pump and blankets before bed tonight, it might help!

Oh no! Did you wake up while the cat was removing it, or just notice in the morning and deduce what had happened?

Luckily I am not at risk of a similar thing happening since I sleep with stuffed animals instead of real ones :)

Reactions: Snapsy and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh no! Did you wake up while the cat was removing it, or just notice in the morning and deduce what had happened?

Luckily I am not at risk of a similar thing happening since I sleep with stuffed animals instead of real ones :)
Stuffed animals are far safer, but real ones are more fun. But I'm glad that I'm happy injecting my insulin, I genuinely think that my animals would be a problem, should I want a pump :)
Woke up at the moment the cat ripped the sensor, tegaderm and all, out of my arm, it hurt! But less so than when I take it off myself after two weeks. Maybe I can train it to do it for me in my sleep after it's finished!