Attendance at work and disciplinary

candiloo

Ok - under Food Standard Agency rules you must not attend work in case you affect the food when you have upset stomach disorders of any kind - print it off and keep it to hand. Also, look under the Diabetes Uk information Employment and Diabetes - your rights at work and under the Equality Act 2010 you have lots of rights where they have to be very careful disciplining you for your disability. I work for a supplier to that well know supermarket, and they would go ballistic if they thought I had gone to work and could have contaminated the food, therefore, they should treat their staff in the same manner - as a customer I would be livid if I caught something from you or you had contaminated the food by attending work. I know this as I get disciplined for not going in when I have blurred vision. I work at night in a food factory and when I have high levels, which I need to have to prevent hypos at work, my eyesight is the first thing to go, and I cannot and will not put myself in danger by driving in that condition, and nor should they expect me to, but each time I am off, I am subject to a disciplinary, which I then appeal and they overturn. This is all extra stress. I even got disciplined when I returned from absence after 2 years and having had pancreatitis which nearly killed me and yesterday was taken to hospital by ambulance as I thought the pancreatitis had returned, but I went in and showed them the arm band and as I had been sick I was not allowed in and they sent me home. I know, when I return to work, I will get yet another disciplinary. Utterly feel for you. We don't want to be ill. We don't want to lose money and we don't want our fellow workers constantly having to carry us when we are ill, but we are saddled with the illness/disability and they need to understand this. Fight it. Print off those things and keep them to hand. Join the Union, who will help you fight and they will advise you further. Mine have been worth every penny of the dues I pay.

eveshamgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You probably don't even have to mention the Equality act to be fair. If they haven't followed company policy by doing proper return to works you have a tribunal case right there, mention that in your next interview!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not being deliberately controversial but, some of it sounds like you're blaming your absence on your diabetes. Did you really need to be absent so much? Hypos happen but unless they are serious (ie unconscious) then it shouldn't cause you to miss work like that

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
[quote=" ame manner - as a customer I would be livid if I caught something from you or you had contaminated the food by attending work. I know this as I get disciplined for not going in when I have blurred vision. I work at night in a food factory and when I have high levels, which I need to have to prevent hypos at work, my eyesight is the first thing to go, and I cannot and will not put myself in danger by driving in that condition, and nor should they expect me to, but each time I am off, I am subject to a disciplinary, .[/quote]
Avoiding a hypo doesn't mean having to have high sugar levels! Especially when it does that to your vision, that's you creating problems not your work. What sort of range are you talking about where this happens?

cazp51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
moaning
I lost my job 6 weeks ago due to time off for diabetes type2 they said it was for not adhereing to the sickness policy, the union was in with me but the decision was made, i had been of 81 days in 5 yrs but 40 of these were before diagnosis, i ont really stand much chance of getting another job so looks like i will spend the next 9 yrs on JSA. this was a housing association i do have a appeal in.

Hi! I work for the police, i went off a night shift accompained
By a supervisor to a&e with ketones and blood poisoning!
On my return to work, i have been told i have to attend a disp.
Hearing! Its terrible everywhere now , too many people
Play up at work and take the mickey and the people who are
Genuinly ill have to suffer!

flicc90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I'm with the same company as you are.
Last year I had a disciplinary meeting due to being ill as my medication had just changed and had made me rather ill.
I was even being sick at work and they still wanted me to stay in and carry on working, even though I was working with food at that time. Which shouldn't be done!

I had made it aware to them that I had a new change in my medication but that didn't matter and I ended up with a verbal warning.
I have been ill since but I work through it because I will admit I am scared of more disciplinarians, I am a hard worker and will always help out when I can...however they don't seem to want to help when I need it.