Attitude of people around me

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's so much that rings true here about other peoples comments here I'd swear you guys have been at my work! :wink:

Btw I'm finding in more recent years that my hands & feet get cold really easily, (which is a right PITA considering I'm a mechanic & the place I work now keeps all the doors wide open until it drops to near freezing! :x, oh & the heating doesn't work properly).I partly (at least) put ,my cold hands/feet down to my T1 Diabetes, is that right or is it just me?

Also what's the benefits of this low carb diet? Is that just for T2s? if not throw me a link pls :).

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm T2 and I'm always cold. Warm socks inside warm boots should help the feet. Fingerless mittens for hands perhaps. disposable gloves over the top. I realise you will need to take gloves off sometimes for your work, but wearing gloves part time should help.
Why are the doors always open?
I'm sure there are laws aginst that sort of thing. Check with the CAB.
Low carbing is for EVERYBODY. Get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes solution. It refers a lot to T1, much more than to T2.

popps

Hi Doc,
I can only imagine what it is like when surrounded by the ignorance of others in an adult world. My problems stem from the ignorance towards a child. You would think people would be more sympathetic/patient/understanding, but unbelievably some or not. Here's an example; standing in Asda queue, took longer to shop than i'd realized and lost tack of time, 10yr old T1 son went hypo in the checkout queue, only realized when the lady behind complained he'd been taking stuff out of her trolley and throwing them in my mine. Just one look at him and i knew he was low, but he was being so uncoperative, wouldn't do his blood, but managed to drink the lucozade. By this time i was getting fraught :oops: and she was sooo annoyed ( why she said could i not control my child!!) i shouted because he's diabetic and he's having a hypo!! Well is'nt ignorance bliss :roll: , she kept saying disgusting behaviour to those behind her, So i threw (not too gently her items back into her trolley :evil: ) told her to F**k off and put my shopping threw, whilst having a loud conversation (about diabetes) with the very nice understanding checkout girl :wink: . By this stage Andrew had drank the lucozade and sat down on the floor leaning up against her trolley oblivious to it all! bless him.
Suzi x
[/quote]
Hi Suzi,

The situation stems from a lack of education - a lack of knowledge about diabetes and specifically a lack of knowledge about child behaviour and diabetes. The lady behind you was not neccessarily stupid, but just ignorant and "uneducated". She saw the situation from her own point of view - her "world view" - and may have been appalled about her reaction to the situation if she had known the full facts. Then again, she may have just been plain obnoxious. There's a lot of them about ...

popps

I've not kept my condition secret from anyone, although I've not made any "general anouncement". Most of the time nobody needs to know. The odd case of unease has happened at lengthy meetings at work, or training seminars, where Office Services have laid on a "lunch" which consists mainly of sandwiches, flan of some description, and biscuits. Instead of joining in what's suppposed to be a bit of social light relief from the day's proceedings I've reurned to my desk and eaten the usual salad, pear and apple. On returning to the meeting I've been questioned about why I have not been partaking of the food, to which my reply is always "I'm on diet". Although this is true, it's not exactly convincing, as I only weigh 10 stone. But, what the hell, at the end of the day, it's nobody's business but my own.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Except your 1st aider at work should know incase of problems.

In my line of work I just can't keep quiet about it, if I go hypo they need to know why I've stopped working or had an early lunch. Customers don't like getting their cars late :p.

hanadr said:
I'm T2 and I'm always cold. Warm socks inside warm boots should help the feet. Fingerless mittens for hands perhaps. disposable gloves over the top. I realise you will need to take gloves off sometimes for your work, but wearing gloves part time should help.
Why are the doors always open?
I'm sure there are laws aginst that sort of thing. Check with the CAB.
Low carbing is for EVERYBODY. Get a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes solution. It refers a lot to T1, much more than to T2.

I always wear disposable glovs anyway, but I guess I could get fingerless gloves, though I've never had to before.
I wear safety boots which are fairly well lined as far as I can tell, & I wear 2 pairs of socks, but when outside temps dip below 5C I still get cold feet.
No idea why they like to keep all the doors open most of the time, 1 door I can understand (to keep exhaust fumes out when emission testing, extractors are too noisey!) but not the whole lot!
And yes their is a law about working temps, it should be at least 13C within 1hr (I think that's the right time). Anyway I recently found out that the timer hadn't been set for the heating! :roll:, it's been set now so I'll see how it goes.

cavelioness

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
When people are studying diabetes and passing exams and writing papers on their findings with diabetes then they can lecture me if they find that I am doing anything wrong in my personal treatment that is working so far for me until then they can keep their nose out

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trinkwasser said:
blackbird said:
I've been told that I 'don't look like a diabetic', more than once, lol.
What does a diabetic look like then I wonder.

Fat and lazy. It must be true, it says so in the Daily Mail

Sadly, this isn't a new attitude in light of the "obesity epidemic". I've been hearing it for 35 yrs....

Equally annoying is the media assumption that because many are overweight, therefore everyone is (not just diabetics). E.g. radio this afternoon "we all need to eat less and lose weight". 'Scuse me, but I don't!

doctorqwerty

Theres a strange kind of reassurance from knowing that there is a variety of uneducated people out there, that have no real idea of what living with diabetes means.
I was guilty of being one of them until recently diagnosed.

I went to the supermarket, saw the screaming children, watched as couples argued, and not once did i ever consider the possibility of it being caused by diabetes.
In most cases, human nature is to blame. We are always concerned with anything that affects us.

I smiled today, knowing that i felt ok, and that smile stemmed from an earlier comment about looking after yourself so that the threat of illness is stemmed. I gained strength/reassurance from that. And in fact from all the various comments made, since i started this subject. I hope other people feel the same.

Trinkwasser

LittleSue said:
[
Equally annoying is the media assumption that because many are overweight, therefore everyone is (not just diabetics). E.g. radio this afternoon "we all need to eat less and lose weight". 'Scuse me, but I don't!

Me too! (skinny active Type 2)

The worst is when you read it in a magazine and on the opposite page is an advert for burgers

I smiled today, knowing that i felt ok, and that smile stemmed from an earlier comment about looking after yourself so that the threat of illness is stemmed. I gained strength/reassurance from that. And in fact from all the various comments made, since i started this subject. I hope other people feel the same.

It's actually quite common, I've never been healthier and many people say the same thing

goji

Sometimes it's the people who are half-educated about the condition that come out with the worst stuff.

In a previous job (NHS multidisciplinary team), I had to sit at a desk next to a dietician and three nurses who on learning that I was diabetic, would spend every free minute lecturing me and commenting on what I was eating. In spite of me never hypoing in their presence, they would constantly go on about diabetic hypos and diabetics having unreliable control etc. Drove me nuts and was one of the reasons I decided to leave that job! :(

To be fair, the nurses were the worst and made the least educated comments (compared to the dietician) but still, I used to sit there wanting to scream that it was just diabetes and not really any of their business. I have since decided in future to keep my diabetes to myself.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Trinkwasser said:
LittleSue said:
[

Me too! (skinny active Type 2)

The worst is when you read it in a magazine and on the opposite page is an advert for burgers

It's actually quite common, I've never been healthier and many people say the same thing

Can't say it's been the same for me, my health has been going downhill the past few years, although some of my problems are probably nothing to do with Diabetes, some I'm sure are, like being tired alot & getting cold easily etc. Still I find it near impossible to control it properly (BG between 5-10), so that won't help! Really I don't know how anyone who takes insulin does.....

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Assimilator1,

I think there are quite a number of insulin users, me included, who have found normal blood sugar levels do-able. It certainly takes committment, effort and the willingness to look beyond some of the conventional advice on offer from the NHS though.

All the best,

fergus

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Assimilator1,

Have you had a look through the Success Stories thread in the low-carb forum?
The thing about that thread is that it's full of stories by members who had found good control eluded them until they made crucial changes to their diets.
There are also some books on a similar theme which you might find really helpful.

All the best,

fergus

Trinkwasser

Assimilator1 said:
Care to show me some info on how? :)
I've long since hit a brickwall :(

Try reading the How To's here

http://www.dsolve.com/

Also there's an online version of DAFNE here

http://213.105.192.75/bdec2/index.shtml

and the pumpers site is often recommended for non-pumpers too

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org.uk/

http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/

Can't advise personally on insulin use but I'd agree with Fergus, there are some very successful insulin users around, mostly they use low or reduced carbs, basal/bolus and are ready to test and inject whenever necessary, the main problem is learning how to do this effectively and the resources vary hugely from place to place.

Assimilator1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well I test regularly , 3-5 times a day, if you mean by basal/bolus long & fast acting insulin I already do that too. However I must be missing something so I'll readup those links sometime, thanks :).