Aura during hypoglycemia

KenMacK

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
When my blood glucose goes very low (below 50 mg/dl), I'll often develop an aura in my eyes, kind of like dozens of flashing lights, similar to that experienced by migraine sufferers. The flashing is most intense if hypoglycemia develops when I'm outdoors (in bright daylight) and then move indoors. Conversely, if the hypoglycemia develops when I'm indoors, the aura and other symptoms all go away if I move outdoors. I'm curious to hear from others who have similar experiences. Any ideas why low blood glucose symptoms would go away simply by going out into the brightness outdoors?

KenMacK

Type of diabetes
MODY
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I have HNF1-alpha type monogenic diabetes. I have the "aura" (flashing lights) somewhat regularly -- I think I have all of my life, possibly -- as far back as I can remember, although I only diagnosed myself as a diabetic after the age of fifty and have been using insulin therapy for less than a decade.
In contrast to what many have described herein for themselves, I have found that I only experience the aura when I am near normal glycemia (~80mg/dL, or 4.4mmol/L) but either transitioning downward or upward. Usually these transitions are related to peripheral flux from earlier subcutaneous insulin administration, sometimes in combination with portal flux from a meal.
I never have aura when I have significantly lower than normal fed-state BG -- say, mid sixties (mg/dL) or lower. In this state portal glucagon secretion should be high, guaranteeing appropriate fuel (ketones and glucose) for brain and eyes. In those who are not normally keto-adapted the primary response (glucagon) may be ineffective, however. This produces the adrenal response, which is unpleasant, and involves a fuel crisis sensed by the brain.
Based upon my own experience I believe that the aura is likely an effect confined to certain tissues of the eye, and unrelated to the brain. I never experience any other symptoms of glycemia, including "hypoglycemia" -- when the primary response is working well the brain has more than adequate fuel. However T1Ds, within a few years after diagnosis, generally do NOT have normal or healthy primary response.
The alpha cells change due to the sustained absence of an insulin signal. This is referred to in the islet research literature as "loss of intraislet insulin decrement", and similar terms. When endogenous insulin production/secretion drops to near zero there can no longer be an "intraislet decrement" sensed by the alpha cells, as in a non-diabetic, driven by a drop in BG.
Many tissues, especially those not expressing insulin such as many of the cells in the eyes, cannot respond quickly to rapid changes/transients in BG. This is one of the fundamental reasons for diabetic complications in general, and in eyes in particular. This damage occurs dominantly during prandial glycemic transients which a diabetic cannot control endogenously.
Possibly the aura is related to vascular glycocalyx in eyes, for instance. These nanostructures reportedly are destabilized by BG transients or disequilibrium.
I suspect that the aura I remember from younger years may have been induced by physical exercise and depletion of muscle glycogen. I associate the auras from this time with the outdoors, making it likely that I was engaged in strenuous activity.
If available, I might drink a cup of bone broth, inducing a gentle hyperglucagonemic stinulus to the islets. Otherwise, the aura never lasts very long -- usually less than a half hour or so. In the worst case I might be working under a microscope or something like that, in which case I will just wait things out until presumably the eye tissues and glucose stabilize.
I never have headaches, and so I cannot personally compare any aura from this condition.

Last edited:

jaharmon13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This may sound strange...but It was a couple of years ago on my laptop. I was typing away when all of a sudden the right side of my computer seemed to go misty grey. I could only see one side of the laptop. I tried reading out loud and couldn't I was jumbling up the words on the screen, but I could talk perfectly well in a conversation. Then came a headache and I started to feel sick. The mist lasted around 5 mins but a headache continued. I quickly took two panadol...It scared the hell out of me because of not being able to read words on the laptop. First thing I thought was "Am I having a stroke?" I looked up the internet and what I did not know was that slurred speech when trying to read out loud can also be part of a Migraine. I have suffered Migraine's in the past but not like that. I went to the docs just to make sure and she reassured me that what I had was an Aura and the reading out aloud problem can be part of a Migraine as if it were a stroke I would not be able to hold a normal conversation...All to do with the eyes and brain trying to read when having an Aura
I’ve had an exaggerated form of this, where my mind jumbled printed words, even the shape and look of my test kit. It was like seeing an alternate version of everything that didn’t quite make sense. Thankfully this doesn’t happen often, only a handful of times in my life. What’s worse is if I don’t catch one of those in time, I may have this moment where it feels like a loud thudding sound that repeats over and over again, speeding up as it cycles—it feels like it’s happening countless times and there’s no way to stop it, like I’m stuck for eternity then all of a sudden it’s like a giant reset button where everything goes black and quiet, then I wake up. There have been a couple of times where this happened, and a couple of times when I was able to ground myself, and hold onto something like a water bottle, and stay connected to my surroundings enough to pull myself back and run to the fridge for sugar. I call it a cosmic horror reset insulin reaction. It’s terrifying and I wouldn’t wish it on anyone.

Reactions: Lamont D