Autopen

Fringo777

Hi,

I have been reading this forum on and off for a little while now and this is my first post.

Quick introduction, I have been type 1 for 26 years (since I was 7) and my last Hba1c was 7.1%. No complications so far although my last couple of retinal scans have detected some background retinopathy :roll:

I currently use an owen mumford autopen for my fast acting insulin (humulin s) and find that it does not consistently deliver the entire dose of insulin. With fairly regular occurence as I pull the needle out, more insulin dribbles out the end of the needle. I guess it could be anything up to 2 units worth. I've had a couple of these pens now and had the same issue with both pens. Has anybody else experienced this issue?

I use a Novopen 3 for my slow working insulin (used to have one for the actrapid before Novo Nordisk stopped making the actrapid penfill) and have never had the same problem.

LittleSue

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Fringo

That sounds way too much to be dribbling out. Are you doing everything by the book, like a vertical airshot first, leaving the needle in skin for 10 seconds after pushing the button (maybe longer for a big dose) and varying injection sites? How fast are you pressing the button? Easy to slip out of good habits over time, I know. Are your cartridges approved for use with the Autopen?

Background retinopathy only starting after 20+ years isn't bad going, but if you can get your HbA1c down, those changes may well disappear.

AliB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
If it's any help, what I do with mine is wiggle it a bit around under the skin slightly without actually removing it. I noticed that was happening with mine but thought that maybe the subcutaneous fat under the skin might be blocking the exit of the insulin, so by moving it around slightly it allows it to dissipate better, and that does seem to work ok.

I leave it for 7 or 8 seconds or so over all before removing it just to make sure and usually its fine.