Avocados

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
How easy is it to plant some avocados in our backyard? Any ideas? What climate does it like?

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You'd be best to do some research on Google. We used have fun growing small avocado plants from their stones in our greenhouse, and this was quite easy to do, but you'd probably have to wait several years at least before they were mature enough for you to possibly ever get any fruit from them.

Robbity

ExD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
The fact that you use the expression 'back yard' makes me think you're from the USA?
I have grown small avocado trees from stones, they are native to Mexico but they would never mature enough to fruit in the UK as we don't have the warmth nor the long hours of daylight. In the south of England people can grow tomatoes outdoors, but here in the north it seldom gets warm enough for long enough for them to be reliably successful.

Reactions: 2 people

Keesha

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am from Canada. Sounds like there is no chance avocados will grown well in cold and dry climate. Bummer! I will just have to buy them from the supermarkets. We get our avocados from Mexico. Much appreciate the advice.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum