Avoiding Air Bubbles In Insulin Pens?

handicapable

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah I'm not so much concerned with putting the air bubble into my veins as the needles are only 4mm in length and I know how to perform subcutaneous injections correctly, I was just wondering if it was common for them to accumulate in the injection pens.

I have been performing air shots and I have been using my common sense by holding the pen upright when injecting to avoid injecting the air bubble as I noticed they do not move when turning the pens upside down. My open pens are stored below 30 degrees C and I have read that the heat at the moment is a factor in them accumulating.

I had to dispose of one of my NovoRapid pens towards the end of it's life because the air bubble inside was so big, if this is very common I'll just continue what I'm doing at the moment because waiting for them to warm up after refrigeration doesn't work for me and not keen on the injection being painful either.

Thanks for clarifying, thought I would have to buy a cooling case or something.

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Thanks for clarifying, thought I would have to buy a cooling case or something.

I’m using a Frio two-pen cooling pouch for my in-use pens at the moment. While the outside temperature isn’t hitting 30, it’s in a handbag, or in the car and it’s not always possible to keep my bag shaded when I’m out. Keeps them cool, but not freezing cold.

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I’m using a Frio two-pen cooling pouch for my in-use pens at the moment. While the outside temperature isn’t hitting 30, it’s in a handbag, or in the car and it’s not always possible to keep my bag shaded when I’m out. Keeps them cool, but not freezing cold.
Car interiors can heat up in the car to well above outside temps !

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
I always have pen pen needle down when I inject! The air bubble will be at the top of the pen and will not be injected

Might be different if I was in Australia???!!!! LOL sorry

LooperCat

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Car interiors can heat up in the car to well above outside temps !
I never leave it in the car, and am really thrashing the aircon when I drive just now, but I’m a bit paranoid about cooking my insulin. My bedroom gets quite hot too, so I’m not keeping any in there either. Normally I have a pair of pens upstairs, and a pair that I keep downstairs and for going out.

Reactions: porl69

kitedoc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
black jelly beans
I always have pen pen needle down when I inject! The air bubble will be at the top of the pen and will not be injected

Might be different if I was in Australia???!!!! LOL sorry
Ha ! We know which way is UP !!