1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Baby blood sugar after birth experiences please

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by Tilly_S, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Tilly_S

Tilly_S Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hello :)
    So I’m 33+6 weeks I have decided to ask for induction at 39 weeks I am due December 27th so have decided to ask for 20th (I would have no induction as my 3rd baby personal choice but I am very worried about it involving xmas day and the fact I have an 17 month old and 8 year old )
    Anyhow I cannot for the life of me remember to much with blood sugars for my boys last year is a blur but I think albie had low sugars for a while and needed formula top up but can’t rememwbr how long for
    My basic question is how long after birth do they monitor baby’s sugars ? Will formula definitely get them up quickly ? I want to breast feed but I would top up if needed as don’t want to be in for xmas !
    Protocol is 36 hours staying in ? (my youngest was early so that didn’t count )
    I’m trying to think of worst and best case scenarios for how long we will be in after birth
    Say if I was induced on 20th and then I was in labour for 2 days (hopefully not likely ) or needed a c section I would be kept in 2-3 days ? And in that time hopefully baby’s sugars are ok.... given the 36 hour rule would we be bac for xmas ?

2. Tilly_S

Tilly_S Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Is baby being low usually if your sugars are high in labour and the week leading up ?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook