Back from the Dr's....

MissMac

So ladies and gents that have been SO awesome since my first post...I thought I'd start another so it might be easier to follow cause from here on in I am gonna be the most annoying poster ever and be asking all sorts of annoying questions!!
Anyway just to say have been to the quack and was relatively surprised but am now a little more positive 'cause he said that my readings were not high enough to suggest I had any damage AND the biggy for me....he mentioned metformin..I said I wanna do diet....there was no more discussion!!! He actually was like..well you know what you want and all power to you lady!! So I have my Hb whatever1ac a-z 123 blood test (I dunno...we need a new name, I don't like numbers and letter combos lol) on Thursday and diebetic nurse next week...we can only hope she is on her game else I can see educating her is gonna be an issue!!!
So if you wanna help a struggler who is still confused...in black and white....can I eat oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and raspberries and a few blueberries and natural yoghurt for breakfast?? lol xxxx

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So ladies and gents that have been SO awesome since my first post...I thought I'd start another so it might be easier to follow cause from here on in I am gonna be the most annoying poster ever and be asking all sorts of annoying questions!!
Anyway just to say have been to the quack and was relatively surprised but am now a little more positive 'cause he said that my readings were not high enough to suggest I had any damage AND the biggy for me....he mentioned metformin..I said I wanna do diet....there was no more discussion!!! He actually was like..well you know what you want and all power to you lady!! So I have my Hb whatever1ac a-z 123 blood test (I dunno...we need a new name, I don't like numbers and letter combos lol) on Thursday and diebetic nurse next week...we can only hope she is on her game else I can see educating her is gonna be an issue!!!
So if you wanna help a struggler who is still confused...in black and white....can I eat oats, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and raspberries and a few blueberries and natural yoghurt for breakfast?? lol xxxx
You will have to try harder at being MOST annoying, @MissMac .
Yogurt, unsweetened full fat variety with berries is generally a good breakfast. Not so the oats.
Only way for you to be sure if that is the case for your individual requirements is to get a meter, and test before, and after to see what happens.

MissMac

You will have to try harder at being MOST annoying, @MissMac .
Yogurt, unsweetened full fat variety with berries is generally a good breakfast. Not so the oats.
Only way for you to be sure if that is the case for your individual requirements is to get a meter, and test before, and after to see what happens.
I have used the meter from work and am gonna buy my own strips and the like I think as this is the plan once I am properly trying...though it feels like I am already I know in reality I'm so not! It's breakfasts and lunch at work that are proving to be a massive issue for me so thought I would ask as you lot know SO much more and I am still in that whole "I can't take this in" I think next week (I have taken emergency leave, not sure if mentioned that previously) so I don't have to worry about work or time and then I plan on sitting down and really trying to work it out...think the best way for me is to go through all the recipes I can and see what I will eat and how it fits with my sugars once I am regularly testing...least if I have some basics I can only work up from there. At the moment it's still all a bit much and I don't know the hubba bubba test results for insulin resistance and the proper diagnosis etc etc. We shall see...I don't think I am going to be able to hit it full on like some admirably do..I have already identified I am a nightmare with researching things....and if it feels too much like hard work I get really frustrated! I know! Nightmare right?!! xxx

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have used the meter from work and am gonna buy my own strips and the like I think as this is the plan once I am properly trying...though it feels like I am already I know in reality I'm so not! It's breakfasts and lunch at work that are proving to be a massive issue for me so thought I would ask as you lot know SO much more and I am still in that whole "I can't take this in" I think next week (I have taken emergency leave, not sure if mentioned that previously) so I don't have to worry about work or time and then I plan on sitting down and really trying to work it out...think the best way for me is to go through all the recipes I can and see what I will eat and how it fits with my sugars once I am regularly testing...least if I have some basics I can only work up from there. At the moment it's still all a bit much and I don't know the hubba bubba test results for insulin resistance and the proper diagnosis etc etc. We shall see...I don't think I am going to be able to hit it full on like some admirably do..I have already identified I am a nightmare with researching things....and if it feels too much like hard work I get really frustrated! I know! Nightmare right?!! xxx
Nope. About normal for newly diagnosed.
Just take time, ask questions, then work out your strategy.

MissMac

Nope. About normal for newly diagnosed.
Just take time, ask questions, then work out your strategy.
Will do....ideal world? I find someone who is so on the ball, tell them what I eat and they "prescribe" me the recipes I can use..I can follow those...the rest is just like...well it's all so much thinking and I don't like to think TOO much when I am not at work! xx

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Will do....ideal world? I find someone who is so on the ball, tell them what I eat and they "prescribe" me the recipes I can use..I can follow those...the rest is just like...well it's all so much thinking and I don't like to think TOO much when I am not at work! xx
Haha, I have used that strategy here too. I found that what worked for some did not suit me, so in the end had to read, think and reflect, ask a few more questions, then apply what I learnt to my own individual circumstances.
A really good and informative start I suggest the low carb programme which is a DCUK 10 week course of gradual changes.

MissMac

Haha, I have used that strategy here too. I found that what worked for some did not suit me, so in the end had to read, think and reflect, ask a few more questions, then apply what I learnt to my own individual circumstances.
A really good and informative start I suggest the low carb programme which is a DCUK 10 week course of gradual changes.
Yup already signed up to that one and a bit chuffed as when it says "choose one of the following challenges" I've already done all 3!!! So looking for the next bit now..I will get there! x

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It's good to have a doc on your side, it doesn't always happen, so a constructive dialogue is a good thing.
Once you get into the swing of testing before and after eating you'll figure out what you can and shouldn't eat, won't say can't as there are always sometimes when you just do... don't get hung up on individual test results, use them as a guide... they will be gone by tomorrow.
Dogs are good for walking and walking is a top exercise in the the diet and exercise world I live... sadly I don't have a dog... yet. :)

Reactions: 4 people

MissMac

Ha! I rescued my doggy 18 months ago and put down the sudden drop in weight to that but still didn't understand....alas she is a little older and cannot sustain a big walk anymore (nearly killed her once with an accident of 14 miles whoops). So I have asked on another thread but just so I can cover all bases......where on here do I find the thread about the low carb diet so I can at least start book marking some shizzle? x

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ha! I rescued my doggy 18 months ago and put down the sudden drop in weight to that but still didn't understand....alas she is a little older and cannot sustain a big walk anymore (nearly killed her once with an accident of 14 miles whoops). So I have asked on another thread but just so I can cover all bases......where on here do I find the thread about the low carb diet so I can at least start book marking some shizzle? x

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/#food-and-nutrition.28

Laura7800

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi I found doing fasting a great way to help don't feel the need for breakfast anymore can wait until lunchtime usually 12.30 when I have eggs of any kind on a weekday and on weekend Welsh breakfast coffee with cream keeps me going.

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @MissMac, what an improvement to the sad weepy woman who joined the forum a few days ago! You're doing brilliantly! You're facing up to the challenge with a very positive attitude. Good on you! Keep it up and keep inspiring the rest of us. I'm so glad your appointment with Dr went well. If you're looking for quick lunch ideas for work may I suggest lidl low carb rolls. Filled with cold meat and salad they are very filling and don't seem to raise bg levels. I think there is a thread on here somewhere with a photo of them. They're very popular with us diabetics. Good luck with it all. You're doing a great job so far

Sent from my D2403 using Diabetes.co.uk Forum mobile app

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Glad to hear all went well. Great to see you feeling much more positive.

Reactions: 6 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.

Glad you're feeling a little better.

No oats

All the rest are fine as are strawbs & blackberries :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

MissMac

Hi @MissMac, what an improvement to the sad weepy woman who joined the forum a few days ago! You're doing brilliantly! You're facing up to the challenge with a very positive attitude. Good on you! Keep it up and keep inspiring the rest of us. I'm so glad your appointment with Dr went well. If you're looking for quick lunch ideas for work may I suggest lidl low carb rolls. Filled with cold meat and salad they are very filling and don't seem to raise bg levels. I think there is a thread on here somewhere with a photo of them. They're very popular with us diabetics. Good luck with it all. You're doing a great job so far

Was feeling so much better but just had a setback which am trying to work out...within my job have to go out and do reviews with families and stuff and luckily this one was lovely but I just wasn't performing to my normal at all and that has knocked me for 6, feel like I need to go and apologise to everyone and wear a big sign saying "I'm newly diagnosed, I'm scared and hungry and depressed" today...guess wasn't helped by other family news last night. Feeling most tender..still...I'll get there just got to get this week out the way xxx

MissMac

Glad you're feeling a little better.

No oats

All the rest are fine as are strawbs & blackberries :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum
Thanks...at the moment I know I am not eating anywhere enough of anything as am still a bit scared so I know my carb intake is higher than I would like BUT my BS is still down from my fasting and until I can sort out what I am gonna be eating I am just gonna have to be kind to myself and know that it's not imperative that I do this in one go. Not having a nice afternoon as just replied on someone else's message but this was the first place I wanted to run to as those feelings of isolation and being on my own are majorly impacting just now xx

chocoholicnomore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@MissMac, you can be assured that you won't be on your own in this forum. It's only natural to have good days and bad days and eventually the good will out weigh the bad. Some have compared being diagnosed as grieving for a former life and it does take time to get used to it. Plus life still goes on around you with it's own problems outwith the diabetes. Just don't be harsh on yourself and don't try to tackle too much in one go. A diabetic friend once told me that he's only diabetic 6 days of the week and has a day off at weekends. Basically, as long as you're in control most of the time then the odd hiccup won't make any difference. Just take it one step at a time and at your own pace. Whatever you do with your eating will be better than it was before diagnosis! So you've nothing to lose. Take care and know that you have loads of lovely people around you for support, help and encouragement. And I'm sure that will apply at home as well as on here xx