1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Back to Back 3 Monthly HbA1c Test

Discussion in 'Prediabetes' started by Listlad, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Listlad

Listlad Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

Today my GP authorised a consecutive HbA1c test, 3 months after the last test where my result dropped clear of the Prediabetes range. Previously this had been blocked by the receptionists so I had to make an appointment with my GP to authorise it as well as discussing other matters. So I now have a booking for next week. It will be interesting to see if the 36 from last time is repeated, bettered or otherwise.

We touched on the practicality of my diet and he, whilst endorsing lchf, did point out that a relaxed approach should or can be applied when on holiday, special occasions thus endorsing the idea that it does no long term harm if occasional.

He also authorised / suggested a step down plan on my blood pressure medication starting with a further immediate reduction from 3 x 4mg doxazosin to 2 x 4mg per day.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    #1 Listlad, Jun 17, 2019 at 6:12 PM
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  2. Listlad

@Debandez
    I took the opportunity to ask him if the entire surgery sang from the same hymn sheet on lchf and T2 reversal and his response wasn’t exactly forthright. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

One of the matters to discuss should be the receptionist blocking your blood tests, that is not on in my book. :meh:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Listlad

That’s what they are there for isn’t it? :D

I didn’t mind too much as it gave me an opportunity to speak to him again.

5. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

I agree but the receptionist can't be blamed. In most practices, the receptionist can only go from what is shown on the computer, and if no blood tests have been ordered, she can't book one. Pre-diabetes patients normally have a review blood test annually, not 3 monthly. It would appear the doctor did not book one on the computer records for 3 months.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Listlad

The computer says no.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tipetoo

Tipetoo Type 2 · Expert

@Listlad, @Bluetit1802 apologies, I keep forgetting that my GP gives me the blood test referral form for my preferred pathology shop in my hand.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Listlad

And boy oh boy can they be tenacious on that. No can do and all that. :D

There is a sort of chief receptionist who I know through the PPG and she was a bit more co-operative than her “jobsworth” colleagues yesterday. So it is booked.

9. Listlad

Result arrived over the weekend. It was 35 mmol/ mol

This was of course achieved on a strict diet of 100 to 130grams of carbs a day. These figures are also in tandem with reversed associated diabetic symptoms.

No review required.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    #9 Listlad, Jun 23, 2019 at 8:23 PM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook